Looking for good quality paint for touching up a JD dozer, and being unhappy with the poor results so many people have with the stuff from the generic big stores, I eventually landed at National Coatings & Supplies, based in North Carolina and with an ever expanding number of retail outlets. They carry various name brands and grades of machinery paint, including Imron Yellow at the upper end ($171 for a 3/4 quart can, and $306.82 for a gallon of the activator at 4:1 mix ratio), and Rival JD Yellow at $100/quart and $60 for a gallon of the activator (6:1 mix ratio). They do have a name brand at about a thousand bucks a quart, or was it a gallon, but either way it was just a bit too salty. Thought I would share this information that took me a surprising amount of time to figure out.
If I'm not mistaken iron is acrylic urethane. We use to buy it the local ppg jobber. Till they changed formula and can't mix cat yellow any more. But I've found on ebay you can buy the yellow and black in acrylic urethane for about 150 a gallon. I've had good results with the ebay pant so far. We alway place the yellow over either cat or john deere yellow primer and use black epoxy primer with the black.
Local places here can just mix off samples if they don't have the codes. Close enough anyhow
Nothing will work if your "just touching up". Your paint is FADED. Nothing will match. If you have a "match" custom mixed, it will only match for a short time until it fade to a different shade than the parent paint. Around here its only $70 for a gallon of CAT yellow at the CAT dealer. I usually buy JD yellow at ACE. The store brand ACE RustStop paits are made in the US and work well.
I appreciate the leads. Looked for paints I can apply from gun, trying to cover more than a spray can is able to do. Not near talented enough to mix my own of this yellow and that black. Some of you guys are artists. I am not.
nice job. i'm looking to basically hose down the machine while it is outside
VanSickle makes good paints for JD Dozers. They have primers and hardeners as well. The regular JD Yellow is good, just make sure it is not JD Safety Yellow. Van Sickle Paint vansicklepaint.com
I paint my JD's with School bus yellow, its a good match for the older Deere yellow..I buy it at Tractor Supply for $50.00 bucks a gallon there abouts, and the hardener comes in pints if IIRC and a fraction of the gallon prices. It works well but I never tried to match the old paint, I paint the complete machine when I redo mine.