Super nice 1987 Pete 359 that has been inside at night. New paint, engine, stacks, radiator, AC, double frame. Owner spared nothing. Almost new Hilbilt bed. Bad part---air bags. Was a farmer owned grain hauler until a few months ago. New owner set it up as a dump. Now he's upset as he is used to going anywhere in the Mack he just sold. I checked with shop and $6500 to convert to walking beam. Sad story. LB
I run airbags without any issues.
Cophagen, nice truck what yr model ?
what is he asking for the truck? and just because it did not work for him does not mean it will not work for you. but if it is not what you want then do not buy it because you will be disappointed in it for sure . I am in oprocess of converting a 88 pete for tractor to dump truck . and having some fun for sure . lookat my thred in the picture forum (New Toy ) Good luck and keep the dirty side down
Its a 2002 International 9200. Around here, most of my hauling is 70 mph going down the interstate. I did spend a week hauling 20 tons at a time through some muddy logging roads. I kept the axles tied together and only had to get pulled up a hill once. Other than that, I am usually on graded construction sites. If I was going to spend more time off road, I would look at springs or a walking beam. With the air bags, you just have to plan ahead and know when to lock the axles together.
Truck He was asking 19 something but offered to me in the 16's. I'm still holding on to the number as I have not decided for sure. I might give the air bags a try as it's just too nice to cull it out for that. For 16 you find alot of stuff that need alot of stuff----- LB
Not to butt in guys, but I agree on that 100%. 16 will be the deciding factor on whether or not yer in good shape, or in TROUBLE. BTW, Don't sweat them air rides. I've run 'em on tandem dumptrucks umpteen thousand miles, twisty, turny, curvey and swervy old skunk paths, never had a problem. Only time is obviously, when you get off the hard stuff and onto the soft ground, or uneven territory, you just flip the power divider in and keep on truckin'.Constant respect and thought on where you're traveling, and going easy with finess and grace in rough going will definitely prolong the life expectancy of that air leaf or airtrac. (I'm sure you're plenty aware of all this rambling anyways.) My buddy owns several immaculate Peterbilt 330's that are 3000 gallon fuel delivery trucks. He has 5-6 drivers that are something else 8 months out of the year that has nothing to do with driving trucks, and they all run those airride oil delivery trucks in some interesting places here where we live. That speaks volumes about airride in itself, with mediocre to barely-breathing individuals driving them and not having any real bad issues getting stuck, etc. I'm on the side, sorry...:drinkup
Although I didn't want airbags on my dump and got chalmers suspension, I know that airbags can work OK. I have a buddy with 6 transfers (mostly Petes), all of them air suspension, and he hauls to a lot of construction sites. His oldest truck has approx. 1.5 million miles. He wouldn't have anything but air suspension for the smooth ride it provides. He really has had no problems with the air off road. He and his drivers know how to drive them. I have been on sites when they arrived and watched how much those suckers would sway back and forth on some of the bad roads, but on they went. Just remember to dump the air when you dump the load, especially if you are on any kind of slope.
A buddy that I worked for this summer has a late 80's Pete 379 with air ride. Sure rides nice, we both agreed that walking beam would be better off, but for what he paid for the truck he doesn't care. I wouldn't worry about it, go for the truck and if you get 5 years out of the air ride system, which should be easily attainable, you can always convert to walking beam later.
today was the 1st day that I actual got to haul dirt in our new dump truck was really worried about the 3:55 gears in the rear ends and the 9 spd but the only problem which only happened a time or 2 and only empty was the truck sorta got hung up on a high spot or a relly low spot and would strat spinning but both times got it moving under it own power really make me want a Chalmer suspesion but have to crawl before you walk so I can deal with the pete air leaf till that time but over all was really impressed by the abilty of the truck think that I am going to add a extra leaf to the front springs though think it will help to keep front end from rocking so much . worked 8 hrs and hauled 14 loads and run only 76 miles , suppose to run it again Monady afternoon again :bouncegri after we get off bus route .
no problems w/bags
Bought it today Bought it---bags and all. LB
Congrads on new dump truck !!! Here we started a job Weds and it was a really bad dumping spot meant to get pictures but did not have the time but actaully got some shoots of the pit that we are getting clay out of really proud of the Pete it is really a work horse and so far no problems with it being a air ride or the 3:55 rears want either 4:11's or 4:33 that with hte nine spd it will be great and so far the mpgs are in the 6.0 range we cahnged air filter today so we will see if that will help any .
Engine?? Busdriver---what engine in your Pete?? One I just got has a small setup. 300 Cummins. I'm hoping it will do as well as my 240 Cummins on fuel.
One of the biggest problems with getting stuck is the person behind the wheel.:duh All too often, I've seen someone get stuck after digging himself a hole to China. Only then, does he lock his power divider... Now he not only has to try to rock the truck out of the hole he's dug, he takes a risk of dropping a drive line, smoking a clutch and breaking his power devider.:badidea He also leaves the hole he dug for the next guy to drive thru. If only he'd have locked his power divider in the first place.. Drivers.... Lock em in before you get stuck.... rofessor
Cummins Big Cam 4 400 with a fuel pump that is set up way to many rpms for me it will pull about 2450 When I get some extra money it is coming back to about 2300 tops
Beware of injector lobe wear if that pump has had its output screwed up.
guess that is the way that it was set up seals still on governor spring pack cocer and ball is still in throttle shaft . getting about 5.4 to 6.0 mpg s out of it .twj
Yeah, if you start to spin, just hit the throttle harder! :Banghead Last place i worked the truck was a converted highway truck with air bags. The driver didnt seem to have much trubble getting around in the soft stuff. Just remember to dump your bags before you dump.
it is a learning process for sure we got about 2 in of rain here and it was really fun loaded a load of gravel and had to make a u turn on the new temporary road, welll thought that I had figure the turn out and would make it but the right frt wheel hit the soft shoulder and just sorta sucked the whole truck in saw what happening and just hit the gas well the truck rear end fianally started to come around so turn the steering wheel in to the slide and it sorta straightened out the it started back it ti=he ditch so i turne the wheel the other way but I NEVER LET UP ON THE GAS and the old pete actualy climbed out of the ditch just wished that it had been on film for sure. of coarse I needed another pair of shorts when it was all over with but he savinng grace was that I had the power divider engaged be for all this mud bogging happened . will try to remember to take pictures of the place tomorrow . Have found out that as long as you have a bit of forward motion it will just keep on going . twj
air bags are ok
just better if you have a set of double locker rear ends
There are a handful of air ride dumps around here, all converted tractors. The drivers say they are as good as springs, just need to use your head when off road. Making sure you are on level ground when you dump is a big deal.