Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Frame repair

Johndeere120 · 2024-03-21 20:41

Been using a 1990s single axle Ford dump truck for a couple years now and where where spring hangers are, it rusted the frame through above about the size of a quarter. It hasn't gotten any worse I hardly ever load the truck I just haul equipment and even then only a few times a month. Question is should I clean it and leave it? I know most of the strengh is on the flange if you look at lowboys 80% of the web is stamped out on some brands. I also considered running a double frame. New rails aren't really an option at least until winter I'm way too busy but I know thats the only "right" way but this isn't a triaxle carrying 27 tons non stop this truck hardly gets used and I'm pulling a mini or backhoe not that heavy just looking for some opinions to hold me over. May start looking at other trucks too

Replies10
  1. #1Coaldust2024-03-21 21:43

    Will it pass a 49CFR 396.17-23 periodic inspection?

  2. #2Johndeere1202024-03-21 21:52
  3. #3Coaldust2024-03-21 22:51

    Roger that. I hear ya, 5x5. Running dirty. That’s what I like. This one time in Haines, I loaded 2200 gallons, but could only legally haul 1450. I was out of hours and out of patience. Cause, it don’t pay, to go out the road, with half a load. But, I was half-lit. Cause, I was back on that ****. Popping those beans. The twelve step didn’t keep me clean. Don't need a creeper cop trying to write me up. Hauling fuel across Alaska in a leaky tanker truck Some Smokey and the Bandit shenanigans, right there.

  4. #4MG842024-03-22 07:36

    How about some pics of the problem area?

  5. #5Old Doug2024-03-22 07:59

    If it has one hole 99% chance it has a lot more problems.

  6. #6Johndeere1202024-03-22 08:00

    Yeah I'll take some soon as I'm back at the shop

  7. #7Johndeere1202024-03-22 08:02

    Nope just some salt or mud problems over the years sat in the helper spring stoppers and went through in that one spot. I been over ever inch of the entire truck the rest of the frame is the same as when it came out of the factory.

  8. #8Truck Shop2024-03-22 08:14

    Sand blast it or wire wheel it-cut a patch twice the size-weld it--no fancy welding technique, no crazy what if's. drive it.

  9. #9Johndeere1202024-03-22 08:17

    Thanks! I was told since its a single axle and not super heavy that the frame isn't heat treated? I know a lot of frames say do not weld?

  10. #10Truck Shop2024-03-22 08:29

    Frames are made of grade material psi-standard rail is grade 8.