I was in the NY/NJ area for a few days shooting a few different jobs. More to come on that. I step out of my hotel room at 6:30 AM to make my way into Manhattan and something catches my eye in the back parking lot. Needless to say I didn't leave for another 20 minutes. They flattened the front tires to lower the center of gravity on the trailer. It has a central tire inflation system all around. This was brand new fresh off the assembly line headed to who knows where....?:usa Here are the specs on it...... M917A2 6x6 Military Dump
That is a nice looking dump truck. I think the tires being deflated is to get the height down to legal range more than to lower the CG.
yeah because thats a stepdeck and not a lowboy..... prob trying to get it down to leagal hieght.:usa
nice pics................
Whats up with the tailgate on that dump? Anybody ever seen the Medium Equipment Transporters(MET). They're the HET's little brothers, and quite cool if you ask me.
nice pics
Awesome! I too wonder about the tailgate, looks interesting.
Its a remote control operated Material Control System (MCS) tailgate. The individual guillotine style doors can be selectively opened to dispense controlled amounts of material via a tethered remote. Click on the specs link above for more info.
Cool, thanks Steve!:drinkup
Seems to be an aerospace engineers version of a coal cute. Doesn't really look like the tailgate can open normally, but maybe i'm missing something.
It looks to me like it can. It looks like it is probably hinged at the top and in the last picture you can see the locks that you trip to release the tailgate.
Additional Images Had I known the tailgate would be such a topic of conversation I would have shot more details of it.... Here are some more views of this beast..
asome truck!
im digging the flap hanger arrangement. It would save me from having to beat the flap mount back square on my boom truck tomorrow morning.
Hi folks I am thinking about buying a 1979 AM GENERAL MDL M917 8X6 DUMP TRUCK with very low miles. Is there any thing special I should watch out for and how hard is it to get parts?
buddfalen, check with your DMV and make sure you'll be able to register the truck for road use. Some military vehicles don't meet DOT requirements and can only be used off road.
Nice pics, The army corp. has a ton of these trucks running around at the base. And for the record those tailgates can open normally to dump a full load too.
Nice truck that looks husky, I've got and international 4900 from the year 2000 that is 6x6 and think its beefy but that thing is even hardier looking. I am not sure what kind of rims I have on it and am told that the RN are on the inside but the thing is pretty rusted so can't find any info, does somebody know?
we used to run 6x6 ex-army macks as watercarts, one was fitted with 930E loader tyres at one stage, it'd go anyware!.. till the wheelstuds broke
You might want to check DOT specs to see if it needs any upgrades to be road legal for commercial use.
I have seen similar gates used for filling sand bags
we are getting 2 tractors in that we will be using to transport large gas compressors in the hills of pa..... one will probably be converted to a straight truck that will serve as a counterweight truck for the cranes and as a pusher truck when we are moving compressors in the woods..... i will post some pics when they arrive and we get started on them