Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Friction squeal

ryanmueller ยท 2017-10-17 20:26

I've been working on a p&h 790 and the brake band for the power down just sits there and squeals. Any tricks to eliminate this? I've tried loosening the band and tightening the springs that hold it away from the drum but didn't seem to make a difference

Replies7
  1. #1Operator41002017-10-20 18:19

    Hey, are you sure the clutch is releasing all the way??? sounds (haha) like its dragging, haven't seen a 790 in years, magnetorque swing if I recall

  2. #2ryanmueller2017-10-23 09:49

    I've tried loosening the band as much as I could and also tightened the springs on the outside the hold it away. Still no luck. Yes magnetorqe swing. We also have a 670 tc with magnetorqe swing

  3. #3Operator41002017-10-23 10:41

    Good morning, had to some thinking and googled your crane ,it says that power lowering is plantery type so your clutch contracts round outside,not sure on that one but the 440 ph had 3 gears that needed a shot or 2 of grease biweekly,fittings were easy to see ,check that and let us know

  4. #4ryanmueller2017-10-23 15:09
  5. #5Operator41002017-10-23 19:52

    hey, about all I can think of is to readjust the band , stand off springs you spoke of earlier may be making it hang out of line, also put some baby powders on it worth a try wont hurt , keep in touch

  6. #6ryanmueller2017-10-23 19:55

    I'm out of town for two weeks for my union apprenticeship training but after that I'll have some pile to drive so I'll let you know

  7. #7ryanmueller2017-12-26 20:35

    Okay sorry it's taking a while to get back. So I found out that when the band was relined the pin was pressed out and bent the ears at the end. They were never straightened so the band set in there twisted. As a temporary fix I was able to wedge a block of wood between the chain case and the band and this stopped it till I have time to pull the band back out.