Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Friday sucked

typ4 ยท 2015-08-03 22:56

Got this text after work on friday, crew only needed one more day to finish up. AAAARRRRGH

Replies20
  1. #1lantraxco2015-08-03 23:43

    As sad as that is, it looks like it could have been much worse

  2. #2fixou8122015-08-04 10:39

    .....if it were raining Cats*...I'd catch one with a dog* stuck in it! Sorry. ...we all have days like that. ...also sorry it happened on a Fry Day

  3. #3kshansen2015-08-04 10:55

    At least it looks like the tire under the cab did not catch, that would have been even worse. Any idea of what started it? Oil leak onto exhaust or electrical? Hope no one was hurt!

  4. #4Buckethead2015-08-07 22:05

    Breaks my heart to see an old 623 get messed up. Glad no one got hurt, hope she gets fixed up.

  5. #5kshansen2015-08-08 07:42

    Best thing to do is just start stripping out all the burnt stuff, scrub off everything with soapy water and pressure wash it off. Spray a fresh coat of Cat yellow and order up wiring harness and new set of gauges and seat. Of course it's easy for me to spend typ4's money!

  6. #6grandpa2015-08-08 15:02

    Monday sucked too. Thieves sawzalled the power chords on my screening spread!!:soapbox

  7. #7lantraxco2015-08-08 16:27

    Damn tweakers....

  8. #8oregon96pd2015-08-13 23:24

    No, Friday wasnt to bad, saturday sucked.....also a 623b.

  9. #9lantraxco2015-08-13 23:59

    Oh my!

  10. #10fixou8122015-08-14 16:48

    Goodness me, Goodness me, Industrial Disease

  11. #11DPete2015-08-15 14:51

    I bet that made a noise See thru block

  12. #12theironoracle2015-08-15 14:57

    Good thing someone put the bucket over the stack! Bwahaha. Actually a see thru block, I have never actually seen all the way thru! Great photo.....TIO

  13. #13DPete2015-08-15 15:02

    Ha ha I was going to say that but decided not to be a smart azz. We're starting a job Monday, hope that disease stays outa Cali.

  14. #14lantraxco2015-08-15 15:35

    Saw a Cummins V12 do that once, was no problem at all diagnosing the problem with those inspection ports opened up!

  15. #15clintm2015-08-16 09:07

    will it be ready by lunch monday it will be pretty dusty buy then gonna need some water put down

  16. #16Nige2015-08-16 09:27

    You could see right through this one ............

  17. #17JDOFMEMI2015-08-16 13:08

    I haven't been able to find it, but I once had a picture of a 6V-71T Detroit hanging from the crane, with the mechanics arm stuffed all the way through both sides of the block. It was a rear engine on a TS-24B, and the speed sensor failed on the trans, so it didn't upshift out of second gear, while the front went all the way to sixth on the return haul road. When it happened, I was driving down the haul road, and noticed an odd piece of debris. I stopped and picked it up, and was barely able to tell it used to be a connecting rod. I got back in the truck and went a short ways down the road, and found 2 more, along with an oil trail. I followed that to the dead unit. With the RPM it seen, it was a real mess, dropped valves ruined the top end, and 4 out of 6 rods left out of the bottom. I hope to find the picture some day, as I am sure others would enjoy seeing it.

  18. #18oregon96pd2015-08-16 22:17

    They ordered a long block for it, so after I pulled it out I covered the exhaust cause the turbo is getting re-used.....you wouldn't belive the amount of crap I've gotten for putting that cover on it though lol

  19. #19norite2015-08-16 22:41

    Good idea, I have a hard time believing it is necessary to cover the exhaust when hauling a turbo engine, but many mechanics have told me it's a real danger to the turbo bearings/seals. I personally think it is better safe than sorry and plug the exhaust. Neatest way to do it I have seen is to shove one of those tiny traffic cones in the pipe, like they use for hwy line painting.

  20. #20typ42016-02-04 23:13

    Been a while but going from hottest to not,hose blew right onto muffler on a 90 degree day, any cooler and it may not have lit. We will either fix it or buy another one with a bad engine, oregon dirt moving is not a high hour thing usually. For now its in the pasture tarped up, sad thing is I think fire got to trans as one of the cooler tubes has paint blistered from the inside heat not burnt outside.