For some reason (prob lack of grease at one point) one of our backhoes had a serious amount of play in the front axle pivot point and needed to be repaired. It was not to difficult. Had to remove Drive shaft, counter weight, hydraulic hoses for steering, hose for grease fitting, I did my first bushing removal and it when good, I used a trick that I learn on the forum:thumbsup, I thank you guys for that one! I welded 3 passes on the inside and then welded a nut on the inside to knock the bushing out with little force. took me and one of my employs about 3 hrs to take the axle out and remove the bushings, I'm getting parts tomorrow so I can put it all back together. I know everyone like pictures so I took some to share!
Rear wheels not blocked! No jack stands! I hope you were not working under there? Good way to get crushed! I don't want to offend anyone on this forum,but the pic just gave me chills thinking abought working under there.
Never had to get under it. Last thing to come out was the axle pin, I would have not been able to get the axle out with jack stands they would have been in the way to turn the axle to role it out.
Calling all cars in the 'Safety Police"!
Good to know people were not under the machine working with out blocking the wheels at least or safety stands. Imo, not to offend anyone, I would not be any where close to that machine working on it like it sits,I get the chills when I'm blocking something up so I don't get crushed,thinking I could get crushed blocking it! Imo.
looks good canadian_digger. how the after pics when she's all done lookin like it was brand new. Take care, case 580sm
Great stuff, and nice shop to work in! Im sure if you keep your shop that tidy, then your the type to work safely! Aiden
Thanks guys. I should be putting it all back together in morning. It sure is nice to have a shop to do repair in, I only had the shop for about a year and a half now.
I'm in the middle of taking the front axle out of a backhoe now. What is the secret to taking out the axle pin?
If I remember right. Mine came out fairly easy with a hammer and punch.