Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Front axel play

jimr ยท 2014-06-09 15:43

My 580SE has excessive play in the front axle pivot. There is movement forward-backward and it rocks also ( same direction as tires). I searched the forum and found that alrman had said to add shims to tighten up the forward slop but the only shims I can find look like they go between the cap and frame (sorry I'd post the parts picture if I knew how) which would increase the gap, so I'm not understanding something right. The other question is what can be done about the rocking? Do I need to replace both caps? There is about a 1/4" forward-backward and about an 1/8" rotationally measured at the back cap. Thanks in advance for any help. jimr

Replies3
  1. #1alrman2014-06-10 02:05

    I can't recall if you have a 4wd - I think you do according to your description. There is a big difference in design of the 580E & the later model 4wd's. Yours should be as the picture describes below. If so, you will need to remove a pair or maybe 2 of #14 to eliminate the excessive movement. Hopefully you have some there to remove........ :drinkup

  2. #2jimr2014-06-10 11:38

    alrman, yes it's 4 wheel drive sorry for not adding that detail and that is the picture of my front axle. Those #14 shims are what I was looking for but it does not seem there are any there. How thick are they, shouldn't I be able to see them? Also I was looking for #9 thru #11 shims for the rear saddle same story there as well. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and helping me out again, jimr

  3. #3alrman2014-06-10 19:10

    You probably should be able to see the shims.....but loosening the plate & looking is the best way to be sure. From memory they are about .010"..... maybe .020" :beatsme If there are none of the #14 shims you may be able to add some of the #4's below. Not an easy task, but if it is what the doctor orders.....