Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

front axel shaft removal from case 580 se 4×4

rikbolen · 2012-05-10 08:13

i have the hub and trunion assembly off the machine, but i cant get the long axel shaft to come out of the housing. a diagram is at cases page under 580 se, power train figure 226. any help would be much appreciated.

Replies13
  1. #1alrman2012-05-10 08:45

    IS this the housing that you have? If it is, then it does just pull out, try a BIGGER lever ...... BTW mutiple posting in different threads causes confusion.

  2. #2rikbolen2012-05-10 19:29

    i tried the bigger lever today and bent a 6 foot burk bar trying to get it out. Now i think something is still holding it, either a retaining bolt or snap ring, but i have searched the entire housing to no avail. i can pull on the yoke with my hand and it moves freely for bout 1/2" to 3/4" then i can here it hit metal to metal. if you have anymore thoughts please share.

  3. #3willie592012-05-10 21:45

    rikbolen, don't know what to tell you. To my knowledge, there's no external axle shaft retainer, and there is certainly no internal (inside differential) retainer for axle shaft. You have to pull the axle shafts to even remove the differential carrier (item 12 in pic above). Possible something has knocked a burr edge in outside of axle housing preventing axle bearing from being slipped out, or something gone awry inside differential keeping axle from being removed. But like I said, both axle shafts have to come out to remove differential carrier.

  4. #4jimr2012-05-10 23:11

    rikbolen, the parts catalog for my 580 se 4x4 shows a snap ring on the end of the axle shaft. The illustration shows the groove for the snap ring at the end of the axle shaft which means to me that the snap ring would be inside of the side gear in the differential.The book also shows a Carraro 710 front drive which is shown in the pic from alrman, that axle dose not have the snap ring. I wonder if your axle is the same as mine. Jim

  5. #5jimr2012-05-10 23:40

    rikbolen, happen to notice that at the the juction of the pivot area of the axle housing there is a plug and under the plug there is a bearing retaining screw and lock nut. The plug is on the top of the axle housing. Hope this helps. Jim

  6. #6alrman2012-05-10 23:50

    There are 2 different front axle set ups on 580E Please confirm the above picture is correct or not.... This is the axle shaft set up for the above housing. Does the CV flange (#4) look same as well?

  7. #7rikbolen2012-05-11 04:51

    yes, that is the axel that is on my machine. cv flange #4 is the part i had to replace., but i cant get the u-joint back in shaft# 7 because it wont come out of the housing.

  8. #8alrman2012-05-11 06:02

    Have you drained the oil in the diff centre? was there any metal in it? Like willie says, I think you have some type of burring on the spline stopping it coming out. Hopefully, you can dismantle the other side & use a long punch & drive it out :beatsme The cross may be in the way a little, but you may get something on the axle.....

  9. #9jimr2012-05-11 16:19

    ooops! sorry fellas, I missed the part in the first post where rikbolen identified which axle he had. jim

  10. #10boydg21062015-03-03 10:15

    Does anyone know what the diameter of the bearing surface on part 3 ( short axle shaft) should be. There seems to be a lot of play between mine and the new bushing in the hub?

  11. #11alrman2015-03-04 01:07

    Can you clarify which axle you have, there are a couple of different types in the 580E. machine serial number? Axle serial number? How many bolts retain the king pin posts 3 or 4? Is there any wear on the short shaft where the bushing runs? Should be no grooves present. Between the different axles I see 3 different seal sizes for that bushing - 55mm / 40mm / 35mm - so the shaft diameter would be related to those measurements. Are you fitting the original shaft back into the housing? or another?

  12. #12boydg21062015-03-04 09:55

    Thank you Airman for the response. I may have hijacked the wrong thread, however I have a 580sk 1992. I installed a new bushing (5194292) and I installed a rebuilt short axle shaft (N14409) from the case dealer. When I assembled it I noticed that there seems to be a lot of clearance between the axle shaft and bushing 0.008". I assume the bushing from Case will be correct but perhaps the axle rebuild was turned down too small by the machine shop, it measures 1.375". I can't find a new factory shaft to measure or any specs on what the proper bearing clearance should be. Perhaps it should have this kind of clearance for the thick gear oil?

  13. #13Aussiemac2024-08-08 06:57

    Extremely late post I know, but having the same problem removing the axle. Have recently found out my crosses need replacing and can’t get the long axle out of the housing. Mine also sounds like steel on steel however on the drawing it shows nothing. Axle ID is a Carraro 225065A1. For the life of me I can’t pull it, lever it, slide hammer it out. Seals removed. I believe I won’t be able to drive it out from the other side due to the centre diff pin being in the way?