Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Front axle needed for Case 590L 4wd

recman67 ยท 2012-04-30 15:45

I'm posting this for a friend. He's got a Case 590L 4WD in need of a front axle. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks, Ron

Replies9
  1. #1sheepfoot2012-04-30 16:56

    I saw on broken tractor they had some 4x4 axle parts for a 580L, I use the heavy equipment parts connection also, lot of bone yards out there if you surf the web.

  2. #2JDOFMEMI2012-05-01 00:29

    The best Case used parts I have found is these people: http://experiencedtractorparts.com/

  3. #3dwloop2012-05-01 10:26

    Wenger's states they are out of stock, but I would call them anyway... I have had good luck dealing with them on old parts. http://www.wengers.com/parts/Construction-Parts/Case/590+SERIES/590/FRONT-AXLE-4-WHEEL-DRIVE/PARTS/FRONT-AXLE-HOUSING/10-D149727.htm Dave

  4. #4alrman2012-05-02 21:15

    Did this machine have a lower king pin bearing failure? If so how bad is the damage? Any pictures? - The housings are repairable.

  5. #5TheOldMan2012-05-03 06:15

    Try Blount Parts & Equip. Hoobken Ga. Be alot of shipping cost, but he has a ton of stuff. 800-659 3111

  6. #6kjl2012-09-21 01:44

    I have a 88 580K and noticed a serious amount of play in the right side lower king pin. I can move the wheel back and forth about an inch or more. I figured the axle is shot. I tried to get the king pin out for better inspection but was unable to on the first and only attempt so far. I was pounding on the king pin with a chisel and 8 pound sledge, it won't budge. How are the axels repairable? build a weld up and machine it back?

  7. #7Tinkerer2012-09-21 16:17

    Here is another parts source I have gotten decent prices from. He sells new and rebuilt parts. http://www.joseph.com/

  8. #8alrman2012-09-21 17:31

    Yes it is possible to weld the axle housing, as long as it is not actually broken. But even then some have repaired them. I have carried out many "on-site" repairs in this situation & they have lasted for years afterwards. Your first problem though is to get it apart, so you can see exactly what is required to repair. Even with the amount of play you are describing, sometimes, new bearings alone is all that is required. I have had some stubborn king pins to remove in the past, but over here, we don't have to deal with snow & salt ..... I usually use some old beaten up screwdrivers, wood chisels, & various size cold chisels - & drive them in between the kingpin flange & the housing. You have to work at two sides of the pin, drive something in one side & wedge it in & then try to wedge something in the other side. Also, use a drift & hammer & try to rotate the pin a little each way to loosen the rust & use lots of penetrating oil.

  9. #9kjl2012-10-19 15:07

    Thanks and sorry for the late response. I had to travel out of town for awhile. I will give your suggestions a try on my next attempt.