I have a bad U Joint on my Case 580 SM that I use around my farm. Just got the replacement joints and seals and plan to work on it this week. I have been trying to find a a video that shows the removal of the front hub planetary housing and axle but havent found one yet. I have the service manual which helps but I find a video is sometimes more helpful if I can watch someone doing it. If anyone has a link to a video and could post it that would be much appreciated. I did remove the 4 bolts on the top and bottom king pins today to see how hard they are going to be to get out. The top one was OK - I was able to rotate it back and forth and then pry it up a little so I think it will come out with no problem. Not as lucky with the bottom king pin. I didnt spend a lot of time on it but it didnt move at all. I assume heat is not a good ideal since it is so close to the bearings ? I was thinking I would try to cut a little notch with a 1/16 blade on a mini grinder at the joint between the king flange and housing and see if pounding a small chisel in the notch would break it loose ? Any suggestions on the best way to get these loose will be helpful.
Followup question - I have been reading the service manual and not clear what I need to do to remove the housing to get to the axle and U joints - (see picture below) the first step says to " Do the necessary steps under Disassembly of Planetary for access to the swivel housing" That section shows the compete disassembly of the planetary drive gears and bearings but I assume I dont have to go that far. If I remove the upper and lower king pins and the tie rod end will I be able to pull the entire housing, planetary and hub assembly in one piece ? If it can be pulled in one piece can the drive shaft then be pulled out of the back of the assembly or is there a snap ring or other retainer inside the planetary housing that needs to be removed to be able to pull the axle out of the front hub assembly ?
Sorry no videos here. To answer the question on the first post re: removal of lower king pin. They are often tighter than the upper pins, but if you hit the sides of the flange so as to try to turn the pin in the housing - a little one way & then the other they will usually begin to move outwards. 2nd - You will need to remove the cover & remove a snap ring on the sun gear before pulling the king pins & removing the trunnion. (no need to separate the hub bearing & hub seal) Then you will be able to withdraw the drive axle (long shaft & short shaft) to then replace the universals. EDIT - did a quick you tube search & came up with this - some 580M's had these hub flanges maybe like yours? - (I didn't watch the video- like watching paint dry for me ) PS EDIT Carraro won't let the video be played on another website - so copy & paste the link - but close the gap I made between // and www. once you have pasted it to your browser. https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=jssJu3HiKhM
Even at speed x 2 that guy looks like he had a bowl of valium for breakfast. Joe H
Great info. as usual Alrman ! That was a good find for that video. I noticed, that company has many other Carraro videos on YouTube. If anyone wants to have that video available where they don't have an internet connection it can be downloaded and saved for reference. You need to install a YouTube extension to your browser to be able to download any video.
I was able to get it apart today - pulled the planetary cover and removed the axle snap ring and then removed the king pins. Top ones didnt take too long to get out with various size hammers, chisels and pry bars to wedge under the flange. Lower ones took quite a bit longer but got them out. Have all the old ujoints removed and will start reassembly tomorrow. In the carraro video they show several shims under the upper king pin flange - I assume that is to adjust clearance between the pins and steering knuckle ??? Mine didnt have any shims on the upper pin flange - there was a larger bevel washer on the top about 1/8 inch thick between the steering knuckle and the upper axle ear and a smaller - thinner washer on the bottom between the lower axle ear and steering knuckle. Do I need to worry about setting clearance or just put it back together with the same 2 washers ? I have checked play in the steering knuckles before and when I raised the front end off the ground and lift on the the tire there is a little bit of movement up and down in the king pins but didn't seem excessive for a machine with 7000 hours. I have had 2 wheel drive tractors in the past with a lot more play in the king pins.
Blueacre, what condition were the kingpin’s in? I realize no two machines are going to have similar wear because greasing schedules will be different and working environments not equal. I’m curious as I can’t tell if mine are needing attention or not, so I just over grease and stick my head in the sand.
.
I thought I had the service manual. I don't. The shimming info should be in the 4 WD axle section in the service manual.
I have the service manual but there doesn't seem to be any info on shimming the steering swivel to the axle housing. Mine has the Carraro axle with the 4 bolt king pin flanges. I think some have a different axle with 3 bolt flange king pins. The bottom king pin is spherical on the end - I think that is a bushing that presses on the king pin. The upper king pin is straight with a larger diameter that seats in the axle and a smaller diameter on the end that goes into the steering swivel - I imagine there is a bushing in the steering swivel that mates with the small diameter end on the upper king pin. Since there are no shims on the upper king pin I think they may have been removed in the past to reduce clearance and the only way to tighten if up now would be to replace the spherical bushing un the bottom king pin if it is worn which would raise the steering swivel up higher against the upper king pin ????
FWIW, which is probably nothing. The parts book does not show any shims for either the top or bottom. It does show both the 3 and 4 bolt king pins.
I decided to go ahead and order the replacement upper and lower king pin bushings and belleville washers. Any suggestions on best way to remove the old bushings that are pressed in end of the axle housing ?
From the 580K service manual. For an known reason to me, the pages cannot be viewed with a smartphone. But, with a computer, clicking on the stupid file name automatically downloads them to my pc download folder.
In the field upper & lower bushing removal tip. - Run a bead of weld fully around the ID of the bushing, allow to cool, most often will they will then fall out. To get the ball off the lower king pin post - use an oxy cutting torch & steady hands Re the shims - yes only in early build axles (580K/SK) M's certainly never used them.
Thanks for the info - I have the 580M service manual - it has the Carraro axle and is a little different than the K. All it says in the manual is use a suitable puller to remove the bushings - There is a gap at the bottom of the upper bushing in the axle housing that I think I can get an internal puller on but I will probably try your idea of welding the bushing first to see if that works. I am mostly worried about the bottom bushing - doesnt seem to be a lip at the top of the bushing to get an internal puller on - I can try the welding trick but a little worried about how that will go laying upside down and welding overhead. If that doesnt work I was thinking to try a die grinder with a carbide burr and cut most of the way through one side of the bushing. No problem getting the bushing off the lower king pin - I will probably use a cut off wheel on a mini grinder rather than the torch - less chance of a mistake and going too deep.