Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Front Backhoe tires. What brands are good / bad?

bmich ยท 2024-02-24 17:16

Looking to replace a set of 12.50/80 - 18 front grip tires on my 310SL. Want a tire with a good load rating as I carry with a loaded bucket longer distances regularly. Lots of the different brands out their ( some I never hear of). I don't want to spend a fortune but don't want junk either. Galaxy Beefy Baby II seem like a decent tire but pricey. The galaxy Super IND Lug R4 has a lower load rating but is cheaper. Petlas IND25 in a 14ply have good load rating and decent price. Lots of other options. What tires work and last well??

Replies12
  1. #1IceHole2024-02-24 17:42

    2wd? We just used E rated pickup truck tires on the 310A. Cheap and held up well.

  2. #2bmich2024-02-24 17:55

    Its a 4WD

  3. #3eKretz2024-02-25 02:05

    I really like the Carlisle Ultra Guard on my machine. I'm running 12-16.5 on a 555D MFWD, don't know if they offer your size or not.

  4. #4Bote2024-03-10 14:02

    I have the same size Carlisle Ultra Guards on my 580M and really like them. I bought them for $210 each three years ago on Amazon. The guy I buy my truck tires from mounted them for $30 each.

  5. #5IceHole2024-03-10 15:01

    I have 2 of those on my Bobcat. They aren't even 5 years old and cracking apart bad and wearing fast. Vs the 15+ yr old Bobcat tires which are fine other than getting worn. I definitely won't buy them again.

  6. #6eKretz2024-03-10 15:42

    Do you leave the equipment sitting outside in freezing weather? That will happen to any tire if you do. Need to keep them up out of any wet mud, ice, etc. Your report is the first that I've heard of anything of the sort. Most all reviews I've seen were positive. (112) reviews at Amazon averaging 4.7/5, and same everywhere else. https://www.amazon.com/Carlisle-Ultra-Guard-Industrial-12-16-5/dp/B009IQYKUI#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

  7. #7Keith Merrell2024-03-10 16:34

    I have some "power king" tires that have held up well. I highly reccomend you have your front tires foam filled. Cost me about $650 to have them foamed and was worth every penny.

  8. #8IceHole2024-03-10 23:03

    Equipment out of the cold, wet and mud... seriously? It's equipment, not my dog! Besides, if that was true, I'd have problems with everything else that has tires.

  9. #9eKretz2024-03-10 23:31

    I didn't say out of the cold. Out of freezing water and/or freezing mud. Get the tires up on wood or dry cement if there's a freeze. Freezing, thawing, refreezing etc. cycled over and over will ruin any tire.

  10. #10oarwhat2024-03-11 07:51

    I'm a retired snowplow contractor in Buffalo NY. All my trucks, and loaders sat in snow and ice all winter. Never affected the tires. The sun is what causes dry rot .

  11. #11eKretz2024-03-11 08:38

    I have had many tires crack on old vehicles sitting in the dirt and wet through several winters. And at only the small portion of the tire sitting in the mud and ice. It doesn't sound like your tires did much sitting to me if they were mostly working. It's the sitting in one spot and freeze/thaw cycles that do the damage. Like when a tractor or skid sits in the mud through most of the winter over several years... And the other guy (who is in Alaska) mentioned having had the same tires on his skid for 5 (and 15+!) years. I'm guessing that particular piece of equipment sits a lot if that's the case. They generally wear out a heck of a lot faster than that on equipment that's used frequently.

  12. #12IceHole2024-03-11 16:22

    Used almost everyday. Tires (and equipment) lasts long if ran by an operator and not a caveman. Plus mud and ice isn't rough on rubber like pavement or rock. Mostly for moving logs in a woodyard and plowing snow. We got around 3500hrs on a set of tracks on a TR270. The internet claims 1000hrs is good.