Hey guys, I have a 1996 Case 580L and I just recently rebuilt the 2 front tilt cylinders with a gasket I bought directly from Case. Problem is when I now load the bucket it seems to tilt down on its own, I keep having to curl it otherwise it’ll spill the load. I’m almost positive the gaskets that I replaced are in correctly but obviously there may be something wrong. Any suggestions as to what to try before I take the cylinders apart again?
If it wasn't doing that before you worked on the cylinders, it is quite likely one or both of them need to be redone. There is an outside chance they sold you the wrong kits for those cylinders. How much force did it take to push the piston and rod assembly back in the tube when you were reassembling it?
Took quite a bit of force, almost everything I had. When you say redone, do you mean redo the gasket kit yet again?
It is a good thing the rods took a lot of force to insert them in the barrels. You could extend or retract the cylinders either way, ALL the until they are dead-ended. Disconnect the hose on each cylinder closest to the rod's piston. Then start the engine and apply pressure as if you were going to extend or retract the cylinders more. If oil comes out of the open port on the cylinder you have a problem with the seal(s).
That’s a great tip, thanks I’ll try that today.
So I decided to pull the cylinders apart and see what’s what. Turns out one of the cylinders had a damaged seal, I guess I forced it a bit too much….I bought a replacement seal and installed it a bit more carefully this time and everything seems to work excellent. Thanks for the help boys, much appreciated. Den
Piston seals are easily damaged if they are allowed to drag over the barrel threads when inserting the rod. A section cut out of a plastic milk jug laid on the threads will prevent damage to the seals. Holding the empty barrel upright is my preferred method for inserting the rod.
****, that’s a great tip. Will definitely do that on the next one, thanks