Need your advice, I've done front seals on small block chevs, but what kinda trouble am I asking for if I tackle a front main seal (engine) on a 580K. Getting to the point where there's a drip every couple secs. Hobby machine.....Thanks,
Does the machine have a front counterweight? I usually drop it & work under the radiator, even leaving the bonnet on. Other way to do it is remove bonnet, radiator etc & work from top - your choice. If you dont have a good selection of hyd plugs, you will have to drain the hyd oil to remove the pump. If you haven't serviced it in a while, replace it - if you don't need to change the oil, drain it into clean containers & then tip it back in. (x 60lt) You will need to support the engine with a jack while the front engine mounting cradle is removed - Dont support it on the bottom of the sump, it will dent - I always support them on a head of a sump mounting bolt. Hopefully the crankshaft is not worn or you will need to install a wear sleeve - use the proper Case or Cummins kit - sleeve is heavy duty. (install dry!) Probably a good idea to replace front engine mounts while there & hopefully your hyd pump coupling is in good condition.
To actually remove the seal, drill 2 small holes 180deg apart & install a couple of long self tapping screws to pull the seal. I also have a long slide hammer made out of 3/8" rod, with a self tapper brazed onto a nut - this works well to do the job.
Thanks for the help alrman. It does have the counter weight. So the oil pan (sump) can stay on? Should I used a sealent (gasket maker etc) when installing the new seal? what do you use to actually install the seal in place?
re oil pan : yes it stays on , as does the front timing cover. re sealant : I sometimes use permatex aviation #3? (non hardening) on the o/d of the seal. nb - the seal is installed dry - no lube re install tool - if you buy the Case / Cummins seal kit - it comes with a plastic guide to help installation to crankshaft & a metal tool used to place on the seal as you install it with a hammer - this prevents denting the seal & puts the seal at the correct depth in the timing cover.