wondering if anyone is running an aftermarket roof top a/c unit on their backhoe. looking at some older backhoes with cabs and would like to have a/c for the summer. The only aftermarket units I have found for K model case machines is roof top units. they stick up 7 1/2 inches above the cab. I thought i could build a guard to protect it for the occasional limb but if it seems to catch them all sooner or later the a/c would get hammered. any suggestions or experiance on this would be appreciated.
maybe I should add the a/c unit I am asking about is made by red dot.
I've used several different Red Dot units for various applications, they're rather good units. One thing about roof top units is routing the hoses, wiring, and condensation lines to the unit from below and do it in such a way that there both secure and protected. As for the limbs, the steel top on a Case loader/hoe is beefy enough to build and attach a sturdy protection structure, but do you have room to clear that strut tubing that goes across the bottom of roof cab for the unit to fit?
DTAC, they are like aftermarket Red Dot. I have installed many of them in dump trucks, none of them was roof top but they do make them. A complete in the cab system runs about $900 (parts/system)They are usually cheaper than Red Dot, most of the time. As ATCO says, make sure you protect the hoses. Google it and ask for prices, Im just guessing a roof top would be around $1600 for the system. I think one of the problems, will be finding a place to mount the a/c compressor
I agree with Willis Bushogin on DTAC, they make a quality product. Have had better luck with them than reddot.
I haven't bought the machine yet. I have been shopping and looking at options. One of the things i was hoping for was to be able to get a cab with heat and a/c. on the older machines a/c is few and far between. from what I was told by the installer is that the compressor would go in the engine bay and be run off the engine. I will check into the other brand mentioned as well. thanks for the input,
With the Reddots the compressor does indeed go in the engine compartment, the installer will have to make a bracket/mount for it and then you'll have to run a special length belt on the engine. I have two Reddots on my truck and they have been nothing but problems, but IMO that has more to do with the installer then the actual units themselves. Mine also have the heat in them, but that hasn't been on for over a year now due to a leaking hose(the heat comes off your engine block in the same place the OEM heater does they just split the lines. When they work, they work great, when they don't you know it. but what i can't stress enough is a HIGH QUALITY INSTALLER!!
Spoke a DTAC rep this morning. it seems they have more options and they have a condenser unit that won't stick up as high above the cab. price was competitive. the unit does hang down 5 1/2 inches from the ceailing on the inside. i don't think this will be a problem. compressor is also run off the engine with supplied mounting plates. thanks for the feedback and info on DTAC.
I just found out today, that Reddot makes a unit that is self contained and the compressor is hydraulically driven, so all you have to do is run some power and two HYD. lines to the roof instead of the A/C hoses.
Im sure if you use a hyd driven pump, it means that you probrably will have to run the engine at fast idle to make the compressor turn fast enough to cool. That would be annoying to me and would burn alot of fuel Just a thought
How often is a backhoe just sitting there idling? To get any production out of them you have to run at least a high idle anyways, or you've got the revs up to load trucks or move the machine, if a hoe is just sitting there then it'll probably be shut down. I don't see where high idle to run the A/C would be a problem.
Anyone have any additional info on the Hyd. operated AC. I went to the Red Dot web site . Not much info there. Do you all suspose it would load the Hyd system too much? Perhaps to cause over heating or sluggish machine.
It's only a couple of hp to run the compressor, doubt if you'll feel that slow down the machine! That's a lot better way of running it, building and finding a place to mount a compressor under the hood could be a challenge.
according to both DTAC and red dot reps. each kit has a prefabbed mounting plate and all that is needed to attach the compressor. both sounded as if this has been done many times before. it seemed they have a database of most backhoe models and what is needed.