Old 2wd Ford 555, occasional use farm hoe. Front tires are totally worn out, to the point that the only good thing that can be said about them is that they hold air. Cords are showing on one of them. This machine is not going to see more than about 100 hours of use per year, and will rarely have to deal with a fully loaded front bucket. In other words, I am not interested in spending a bunch of money on high quality name brand tires. What I am looking for is anyone else's experience with the cheap, off brand tires. Are they all about the same, or can someone recommend one that they have had good luck with.
We always ended up with used pickup tires on does't get much cheaper than that 11- 15 on the front? seems like a 31.5-15 was a good match Otherwise find your small town brick and mortar tire shop that serves farmers they know which of the cheaper tires hold up and the ones not worth buying
pick up a spare tire on the rim off craiglist, or local consignment auction. Usually you'll either have one of two common ag bolt patterns, 6 on 6, or 8 on 8 I think. That tire could outlast you if it's a good one. and the new tire could hit steel and be ruined immediately. not too much trouble to change a tire on a backhoe, break the nuts loose, then lift the axle off the ground to change.
I saw a pair of brand new heavy duty 16 inch trailer tires on Ebay for $186 with free shipping. They have a weight rating of 3,800 pounds at 100psi, if I recall correctly.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BKT-Rib-F-3-11L-16-F-12PR-2-Tires/303172249403?hash=item469679673b:g:~hEAAOSwQyVc79ZY When your bucket is carrying 3/4 yd3 you'll wish you spent your money on a decent tire as you will come to the realization you have to replace your front tires again. F3 is the tire tread pattern. 12 is the ply, but 10-s will give you a decade of good service. Titan or Goodyear (Domestic) or BKT (Import). Some of the other imports may be good but I have no experience with them.
There is a "Maxdura" 14 ply on Ebay for $128 each with free shipping in 11L-16. That is what I am leaning toward, unless someone on here can tell me of a bad personal experience with that brand.
It will probably be fine but your tire guy won't like it. At 14ply, you can almost skip the air.
I've got a couple of Harbor Freight tire irons, and while it may take me a while (and be responsible for an expansion of the english language), I figure I can eventually get it done.
With a little care you can use the stabilizer to break the bead. If the wheel is a rusted mess inside, clean it up, especially in the bead, and shoot some Rustoleum primer over it. Another ten years guaranteed. I've switched to metal valve stems. The short ones. Fewer problems long term.
The fire front tire I bought was made in India and have to say that thing started crack all over real bad first year it was on, was told they mix clay in the tire compound. Then was told that the china tires were better that work out fine just over 100.00 with free shipping.There is a guy that sells blemish tires out in the mid west but it's hit or miss he sells on ebay. I bought two 19.5 24 rears off him firestone tires new blemish for 150 apiece hell of a deal
Nothing good is cheap. Nothing cheap is good in my experience. Buy the best you can afford and live with it.
They're front tires so will be relatively cheap compared to replacing rear tires.
I like the widest tire that will fit on the machine. The 750-16 14 Ply steel belted Yokahomas that were on the old 680 were tough. Provided very little floatation. 10.00- 16 used tractor steers were free but the side walls are not much on stumps. Mixed results with tires from India. Some are great and some not so good but better than China. Might look at Gensco used aircraft tires. Suggest you buy them mounted unless you are very good and have equipment to do that.
What is the seller's name/ID?
When you need tires for the back I bought these 16.9 24 and have been real happy with them. https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-9-24-TI...080476?hash=item216b2dbd5c:g:HsQAAOSwj8hbmqns
Ended up getting a couple of the Maxdura tires off of Ebay. $130 each, with free shipping. Hope they don't end up being crap. They are 14 ply, so mounting them may be a struggle.
I just picked up the same set for the front of my 580 case from a local garage in my area. I paid $111 a pice for them. They mounted up fairly easily.
I have heard that the key is to get the the heavy ply tires 12-14 ply ,I have seen these on ebay as well how are they to mount ? Hate now to buy China stuff now though
I do no know anything about those tires. However if you read the sidewall something like this is common. 2 ply sidewall 4 ply tread Same as 8 ply. The old Yokahoma 14? ply tires on the front of my old hoe were tough as nails. Steel belted and the side walls as thick as your thumb. They are not available any more. Anyone know of any tires like that any more?
Those Maxdura tires that I bought are stamped "made in India", so I guess at least my money isn't going to China. They seem very thick. Tough? We'll see.
Ive only had mine on a few weeks so far so good ill have to give a better up date in a few months. As for mounting them the old tires were awful to take off i cut the bead to make it easier to remove. the new tires i used lots and lots of soap and they slid right on i did use a tire machine though they make a huge difference.
about 5 years ago I needed to replace a front and it was stamped made in India not sure of the name on it but that thing showed dry rot in the first year by the second year I had to replace it,I might put just over 100 hours on the hoe a year,the replacement was a China tire 4 years old all deep cracks all over it??????
Well, I hope that I get better results than you did. As little use as Luwanda (my hoe) gets, I am sure that the tires will die of old age, rather than wear. BTW, when I changed a stubborn motorcycle tire a while back, I figured out that my hydraulic wood splitter works perfectly for getting the bead loose from the wheel. Just used a couple of 4×4 blocks of wood against the tire.
it is tiretownlv1 this is on ebay
The seller that I purchased from is hthomasbikes on Ebay.
thanks will check them out
Was going to try changing the front tires myself, but when I went out to start the project I noticed that one of the rear tires was low. Not interested in wrestling a rear tire, so I put the two front and one rear in my pickup and took them to a tire shop. I don't think they really wanted to mount tires that I purchased elsewhere, but since I was having them fix the flat rear, they went ahead and did it. They were able to patch the tube in the rear tire, so after I handed them A HUNDRED AND SIXTY DOLLARS!!!, I am back in business. Luwanda be stylin' with her new shoes.
I had put my rears on myself tubeless and used ether to help set the bead, If I remember right my wife was watching my little show I heard that the old timers would do it this way and it will work thinking back it would of made a great video