Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to remove inner tie rod 580L 4WD?

QLW ยท 2019-11-24 10:04

Any tips on removing this tie rod attached to the steering cylinder? Was hoping to do with cylinder in place. Not sure how to hold the cylinder while turning the joint. Broke a thin crow foot thus far. Thanks

Replies1
  1. #1alrman2019-11-24 15:24

    They can be difficult to deal with. As you have already discovered, the flats on the chrome rod are very thin & don't allow for a great deal of torque to be applied. I have ground down an open ender wrench to suit the flats on the end of the cylinder, so that it is quite a snug fit, requiring a few taps with a hammer to get it in place. I have used it many times over the years & have always used a 36" stillson/pipe wrench on the ball joints to loosen them. The old wrench I used was a German made Dowidat brand ..... sometimes the steel in those old wrenches is alot stronger than the wrenches made of more modern times.