Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Front wheel removal help

eagle98 ยท 2015-08-18 19:54

Hello guys I have a 1977 John Deere 410D 2wd. I need to remove the left front wheel. It needs a tube, I have a flat. I have all the lugs off sprayed wd-40 behind the wheel and in front to loosen it up a bit. Ive beaten it with a hammer trying to get this off anybody have a better idea or tricks thanks for your help....

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2015-08-18 20:15

    So it's rusted the bore tight to the hub. Try lots of medium ball pein hammer hits on the innermost part of the rim. Then hit the rim from behind with the end of a long 4x4, use blocking under the 4x4 and axle if needed so you can hit the rim, turn it a little and hit it again. If it will hold air for a bit, then put the lugs back on but leave them a turn or two loose and go to work.

  2. #2eagle982015-08-19 00:50

    Thanks for the reply ill give it a try...

  3. #3Spangles2015-08-19 12:27

    A bit of heat can help expand things and make it easier to remove

  4. #4eagle982015-08-19 19:28

    soaked it overnight, the rust behind the wheel was the problem. hit it with a 2x4 like Delmar said and it came off thanks for your help

  5. #5old-iron-habit2015-08-19 22:30

    Sometimes it is easier to leave the wheel on and just pry the tire of and fix or replace.