Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD410 Front Wheel Play

telwood ยท 2015-08-18 21:49

I noticed the other day that as I am driving on rough terrain my front left wheel wobbles abnormally. I raised it up and there is slop when I move the wheel from right to left but none up and down. I pinpointed it to the spindle and it appears when I wiggle the wheel from side to side the slop is in the shaft (axle) inside the spindle. The book on the machine shows there is a bearing on the underside in some models and other than that not much but washers and a couple sleeves along the shaft. Is the slop likely the bearing itself, can the sleeves wear out to allow the wobble or can just tightening the nut on top resolve this? Thanks, Tom

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2015-08-18 21:59

    Yes, the sleeves wear out and allow this slop. No, the nut won't tighten, and if it did it wouldn't resolve this. The bearing allows the wheel to rotate easier, but it doesn't control the in out movement, only up down. New bushings will take out some of the slop, but it's not a Ferrari.

  2. #2telwood2015-08-19 20:01

    Thanks Delmer. Agree this isn't a Ferrari but the left side seems to have excessive slop (1.5" movement) and just want to improve it some so I'll take it apart and expect to replace the sleeves which I think are still available. Appreciate the reply, Tom

  3. #3Delmer2015-08-19 22:01

    Depending on where the 1.5" is measured, the bushings may be completely worn through and the axle housing is egged out. Then it would need to be welded up and rebored, or replaced. Let us know if you have any questions when you dig into it.

  4. #4telwood2015-08-20 20:33

    The 1.5"- 2" is outside of tire slop so I hope the shaft is ok. I expect that JD part is pretty expensive. I did order the bushings just to have them readily available since it was only $20 per set. I'm getting new rear tires installed tomorrow so will jump into this issue right away to get back to working with it.

  5. #5telwood2015-09-02 20:14

    I am figuring out these US Army issue tractors. I have the Army manual and the JD manual and the Army manual shows everything but leaves out the part numbers for items beyond the pay grade of the motorpool...I guess. I tear apart the axle and the shaft is welded to the top of the ball joint bracket under that top bolt. After an hour of grinding the shaft drops down (with a 5lb sledge help)and I see the bottom washers are missing. The army manual shows them but omits the part number so I assume they lost them and welded the axle to keep the spacing. The washers arrived today so will hopefully just put them back together and move on. Axle is perfect, spline is tight, bushings are still tight with little play...I dodged another bullet I guess.