Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Frost prevention

Mmconstruction ยท 2014-12-30 17:42

I'm trying to keep moving with a dip water line on a site. Before the frost becomes too much then a crust was thinking of spreading calcium and laying out blankets where the trench is. Has this been attempted with any success?

Replies6
  1. #1maddog2014-12-30 17:48

    calcium is used on highways in the north, it is very corrosive

  2. #2Delmer2014-12-30 18:22

    I don't see why calcium chloride wouldn't work, salt would be cheaper though- more effective per dollar. Never tried it or heard of that use. I have "tarped" sites to keep the ground from freezing. Spread hay, straw, leaves, etc 6-12" thick depending on how lucky you feel, cover with tarp and anchor down.

  3. #3qball2014-12-30 19:22

    Try Florida.

  4. #4da'yoop2015-01-05 19:28

    Try a layer of about 6 to 8 inches of sawdust and cover with tarp or blankets. Check sawmills or such for the sawdust.

  5. #5wilddanz712015-01-05 19:47

    got the same problem... I got a septic system to do in a couple weeks and would like to avoid the frost. I got my guy going out tomorrow to cover it with the blankets I got. never though about the calcium, sounds like a good idea to me! lmk how it works

  6. #6old-iron-habit2015-01-05 19:53

    I don't think calcium chloride or salt will do the job. They will only keep the water from freezing as deep as they penetrate. You may end up with two inches of non frost and below that froze up solid. Covering with hay or any type of insulating material works good. In the old days we used to cover with hay in open areas and then burn it off before digging. Now we use hot water self contained ground thaw units to thaw the frozen ground and cover with concrete blankets.