Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fastest way to move 300 yards of sand 200 feet.

KellyWagner ยท 2014-12-29 00:32

I have been doing a lot of work on my yard and after having dug my basememt and driveway with my trusty ol John Deere 70d excavator, I now have two nice neat large piles to move. Normally I would say get a tandem dumper but the lot is quite greasy this time of year and where I want the fill to go is a shallow depression. So rather then me try and haul it with my little F450 dumper or get a tandem dump truck stuck, what would those of you that do this for a living recommend? I thought maybe a good modern 4x4 backhoe with someone who knows what they are doing or maybe even seeing if someone has a big articulated loader to hire out. I would like the dirt shuttled and levelled at the same time but our rainy Sooke winter really makes life tough for anything that is not 4wd.

Replies17
  1. #1td25c2014-12-29 05:26

    Yeah..... I would think a 4x4 backhoe or loader tractor would do the trick . Small dozer , track loader or compact track loader would also work fine . If it's just a little slick on top throw a set of tire chains on the F450 and load with the 70D . Or .... Leave it be for now and wait for better weather to work in . Move material , grade , and seed it when it's dryer & easier to work with . That's most likely what I would do .

  2. #2RBMcCloskey2014-12-29 05:55

    I would rent a Cat D6K size bulldozer. Push, cut and fill in one operation, it should take about 2 days if you are experienced using a bulldozer and 3 if you are not.

  3. #3lumberjack2014-12-29 07:21

    2 days to move 300 yards 200 feet with a D6? Seems like a really long time. Not seeing the terrain, it would take a long day with a large CTL.

  4. #4Paul Six2014-12-29 07:36

    In my country we would ask a local farmer with his tractor and tipper trailer if he is not busy he will do the carry job for a fair price

  5. #5Tradesman2014-12-29 07:47

    I've had to do it on a lake front property where most of the material ended up on the lake side of the excavation ,and it was heavy clay we used a d6 and built a berm with the material that extended likely 300 ft. with maybe twice as much material.we had it done in a short day, as mentioned above it was moved with the cut , fill and shaping done ready for top soil and seed in the spring

  6. #6rsherril2014-12-29 07:52

    Load-Haul-Dump machine like a 966 front end loader. Wait for it to dry up though.

  7. #7390eric2014-12-29 08:33

    Get a dozer have it roughed in by lunch. And smoothed up by dinner. Then call it a day. If it was me I would wait till it dries up. Be easier to work. Strip your topsoil, move your fill, grade it up , then spread your topsoil and plant some grass. It's all done in one day or so with one machine. 200 ft isn't not a far push with a dozer.

  8. #8dozerman4002014-12-29 14:43

    I like 390eric's thinking. 300 yards, a Cat 953 track loader or D-5k dozer size should get it done in one short day.

  9. #9KellyWagner2014-12-29 14:59

    Great. Now i gotta find one. A dozer wont work because it will wreck a driveway as it goes over it.

  10. #10Tradesman2014-12-29 15:20

    Pack a foot of soil on top of the driveway and push over it , if you get a good operator that cares he should be able to avoid damaging your drive way as long as it has a good base under it, and if you don't have a good base under your driveway trucks or a loader will wreck it faster. Just my two cents PS. if you can waiting till spring it will make everything MUCH easier.

  11. #11dozerman4002014-12-29 15:25

    Tradesman, You beat me to the same thinking.

  12. #12lantraxco2014-12-29 15:48

    Use a rubber tracked dumper, Handlers in Abbotsford (604) 850-3601 usually has some for rent, there should be other places to rent them. Morooka, IHI, Kubota, Takeuchi, Yanmar, Canycom all make excellent small dumpers. Use one once, you'll never be without one, LOL

  13. #13oarwhat2014-12-29 19:37

    Lay down wood or tires to cross the driveway. Not a big deal. And you don't need a D6 or even a d5. A D3 ,JD450 or any small dozer will do fine'

  14. #14wosama931b2014-12-29 19:59

    Find some plywood, put on some dirt, find a loder and have some fun, then grade in dryer weather,

  15. #15buckfever2014-12-29 20:15

    I agree with lantraxco. Rent a small dumper either rubber tire or track and haul it where you want. Then use your mini to smooth it up.

  16. #16rutwad2014-12-29 21:31

    https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...8E2QV8HahZa-yIdCsY3QHaVDMzaUJMic5yuvsQWKE4wIg Fast, but not feasible

  17. #17qball2014-12-29 21:45

    Big ctl, 299 cat or so.