Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Frozen track shoe/pad

NAHydro ยท 2014-05-20 21:52

I have an old machine with three pairs of frozen track shoes/pads. The machine is used infrequently, which allowed the chain pins to sieze, thereby freezing the two attached shoes. I've tried the logical approach...wd40 and a big sledge hammer Any tried and true solutions? Thanks.

Replies5
  1. #1Deeretracks2014-05-21 01:02

    Some heat on the bushings will many times work to break them loose. Back in the day I know we would spray down the chains with diesel when they would sit for a long time. I can't condone the practice anymore though.....

  2. #2uffex2014-05-21 06:07

    Good day NAHydro We have seen this issue on a number of occasions, whilst infrequent use may be your problem we suggest this is more likely the cause, see the attached. We have tried many methods without success. Kind regards Uffex

  3. #3old-iron-habit2014-05-21 12:13

    Probably not going to work for you but on the old Cats being restored that have set for years, it's not uncommon to find frozen links or completely frozen tracks from rust. A common solution is to toss them in a pond and keep them submerged for 6 months or more. Not always successful but often works out OK as most restorations take a year or three. Time is your friend when they are submerged.

  4. #4NAHydro2014-05-21 18:56

    Thanks for the input fellas... I've learned my lesson, and will endeavor to exercise the tracks periodically when not in use. They may have been siezed for quite some time and I just noticed them, as I am outside my element servicing heavy equipment. I checked with our local heavy equipment service center, and they said they won't even attempt to press the pins out for replacement, suggesting instead the replacement of the whole chain, which is undoubtedly beyond my budget for this 36 year old bueaty. I'll buy a torch setup and attempt the heat solution, as suggested. I use the machine fairly lightly; is it a problem to run with the frozen pads? Thanks.

  5. #5old-iron-habit2014-05-21 21:05

    If you have few enough froze so the machine will move you could try laying a piece of steel or a rock under a stuck joint when setting on something solid with no give. Get it under the middle of the machine for full weight and rock it back and forth. It might break it loose with the full machine weight on it and you have nothing to lose by trying.