Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Frustrating snow clearing

Welder Dave ยท 2025-02-28 02:19

I went to start clearing snow off my MX track today. It was pretty soft and slushy with ice underneath a lot of it. I've got a few things working against me. The ripper on the back makes the front end too light. My particular grader (Champion 730A) is odd because it doesn't have a locking/unlocking differential, that is generally standard equipment on articulated models. The front tires have wide blocks so basically act like slicks. I will say it did admirably on straight sections. My skid steer or even my tractor with chains wouldn't have pushed the soft snow very far. I could try putting the tractor chains on the front tires of the grader but don't know if they would help much. They're Duo-grip chains but I think I'd need studded chains to help much on ice. Problem is studded chains are very pricey for the limited amount I'd use them. One thing that did help was the articulation. So glad I got it working and it is continuing to work. I wouldn't have been able to get around the track without it. I probably would have got stuck and then have to take the track loader out to get it unstuck. I plan to add weight on the front and was wondering how much it helps with steering on slippery surfaces?

Replies6
  1. #1Acoals2025-02-28 15:43

    Snowplowing is hard. At least today wasn't as bad as yesterday. Maybe tomorrow will be better yet! (Don't get too excited, statistically it is likely to be worse)

  2. #2cuttin edge2025-03-01 17:10

    If you can move the snow to the inside of the turns, so you mb is angled that way, if you put a bit of pressure on the heel end ( closest to you ) of the mb, it will act as a rudder and help you come around. Only works if the ground is frozen, or hard packed. When plowing city streets, I used to do this until the snowbanks got big enough to use my wing as the rudder. Of course I was only making right turns. Your long mb would be good for this, as you could bring it out wider than your wheels, and still be angled pretty sharp. Sometimes leaning your wheels as you would in dirt, makes you slide more in the snow, so keep the up right as well.

  3. #3IceHole2025-03-01 17:16

    what's a maintenance track?

  4. #4Tatersmt2025-03-01 17:21

    I think he has a motor cross track for bikes.

  5. #5Welder Dave2025-03-01 19:38

    MX is short for Moto-Cross. I tried using the blade to help steer but might not have put enough down pressure on the heel. Some of the turns are pretty sharp for a grader.

  6. #6IceHole2025-03-01 20:18

    MX is maintenance as well. Plowing a motorcycle track definitely wasn't a guess of mine!