Does anybody here run any fuel additives, such as Power Service or others in their diesel machines? If you do, what are your opinions? I just picked up a New Holland LS190 and was curious. I also have a diesel pick-up, but I don't run anything in it. Just curious. Brian
BG brand stuff is the only thing I use anymore. I don't waste my money on power service or Howes
Thanks for the reply. I used Power Service as an example. Why do you use BG brand, if I may ask? Brian
I have had no problems with power service. Main thing is NOT to but any bio willy diesel in anything, It makes algae grow in today's plastic tanks...
I use the power service winter blend in my truck and my skid steer, mini-x and tractor. the anti gel seems like a good idea for me because of the cold weather I get here and it seems to work, or at least I have not noticed any negative issues
With the exception of anti gel and anti moisture I've never used any additives on bulk fuel or heavy equipment, I do use Archoil AR9200 fuel additive in my 6.0 tho. Has a real good write up... Honestly I don't see the difference. I also use the 9100 friction modifier in the oil and that definitely makes a difference tho.
i have heard a lot of folks add a little spice to the fuel for the ford 6.0 liter. i hear it helps a lot because some say that the 6.0 was a touchy unit….i have no experience with that motor, but anything that might help the motor stay out of the shop is a good thing for the check book!
Thanks again for the responses. My '05 F350 with a 6l gets Rotella T6 5/40 synthetic for winter and Motorcraft 15/40 blend for summer. I use no additives in fuel or oil. I have no experience with the skid steer, so that was why I was asking. Brian
if you have some colder weather the winterizer additive is good, and with a used skid steer I wouldn't see why a cetane boost additive would hurt every couple of tanks, I definitely use the winterizer in my new holland lx 565, but I don't think I have ever run any cetane boost additive. In my 2012 f350 I have added a cetane boost lube 5 or six times…make sure you get all your fuel (on and off road) at a station that is busy and moves a lot of volume of diesel, that way you have less chance of getting old and or contaminated fuel.
Thanks for that. I do get my fuel at a busy station. I will try the cetane booster in the skid steer. Thanks again. Brian
We used to run diesel kleen (i think thats what it was) in our skid steer in the winter but now we just fill it up at the gas station. There's a dot shed right across the street so the diesel is always fresh. Little bit more for road fuel but we don't have any gelling problems in the middle of the night
There is a well researched thread on lubricity additives at http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76.../177728-lubricity-additive-study-results.html My JD 325 manual clearly recommends a lubricity additive if you are using ULSD.
I have pretty much given up on Diesel Kleen, because I did determine that it dropped the fuel mileage in the F350. I ran a few tankfuls with the recommended dosage and then a few without. There was just about a whole mile per gallon difference. I know that really doesn't matter in a vehicle of that size, but it got me wondering what else was happening. Thank you for that link. I remember reading that thread a few years ago, now, although I had forgotten it before you posed this. Age does that to a guy. Based on this information, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to run an additive, since this is a 1999 engine? I see some do and some don't, but I'm wondering just because of the date and age of it. Brian
Brian, My JD skid steer is a 2009 (post ULSD) and JD recommends an additive for lubricity. I used to just put a lubricity additive in the older equipment but after noticing that, i am reconsidering. I think the older equipment definitely needs lubricity additives since that equipment was designed for better fuel than we have now. One would hope manufactures of newer equipment have made the adjustment, but I guess you have to verify that on each piece of equipment. Ken
BTW, the BEST lubricity additive is Bio-diesel according to that thread on Diesel Place. Bio-diesel has it's negatives, especially if stored for a while but it does improve the lubricity of ULSD. In one of their industry journals, Deere noted a 5% reduction in mileage and a 10% reduction in power with bio-diesel, IIRC although I might have those two numbers reversed.
Looks like I have no good reason not to use good lubricity additive. The additives at the top of the list seem to get good marks? We don't have any local bio-diesel outlets here. Thanks again for the replies. :thumbsup Brian
I noticed a fuel economy loss as well in our skid steer. Used to get about 8 hours out of a tank and with the diesel kleen I only got about 6
I have a Chevy 1 ton with a 6.5L engine (I know ) and a Dodge with the 12V Cummins. About every 3 tankfuls I use Stanadyne Performance additive in the fuel. It has a cetane booster and lube additives mostly for the stanadyne pumps on the GM 6.5. But it sure makes both trucks start better and idle cleaner and smoother. I don't know about the Dodge, but the 6.5 gets another 1.5+ mpg using the stuff. The 6.5 has 175k on it now and no major issues. I thought it was just snake oil when a Driller friend of mine told me about it. His has 375k+ miles on it With one injector pump changed out. It also has an anti gel too.
I tried the Opti-Lube product, but haven’t had a chance to run it that much, due to the weather and getting ready for a mission trip to Guatemala. I did think it started a tad easier, but it always starts easy, so that could be a mental thing. I'll report back when I've had a chance to run a couple/few tankfuls of fuel, if anyone is interested. Brian
Speaking as a former trucker and owner-operator there are two good diesel fuel additives. 1. Lucas injector cleaner. 2. Howes anti-gell..........the gold-colored stuff. As for Lucas, think about this for a minute: Lucas oil company sponsors EVERY type of race vehicle (and boat! on the planet. How may of the other manufacturers names posed here have you seen on the side of ANY race car or truck? It takes a LOT of money to sponsor all race vehicle Lucas sponsors, so if they're not selling their products how would they have the money to do this?? And NO I don't work for Lucas! In fact I'm 69 and I don't work for anyone!!!! Lucas RULES.
Please don't tell anyone to use that crap in ANY engine. You might as well tell people to run Molasses in their oil!!!
My findings, for what they're worth. With the Opti-Lube XPD, easier starting and seemingly better fuel consumption. That's over nothing, when I got it. The tank of fuel seems to get about another hour, but I don't run it that hard and it's just around the house/"farm". It also seems to have a skosh more power. Brian