I'm wondering what additives if any I should add to my fuel for the winter here in Central NY. The backhoe probably won't see much use for the next 4 months except for occasional snow plowing. Should I add kerosene, anti-gel, or something else? Also, what type of hydraulic fluid does a Case 580D require, I need to top it off.
JRP3, I add Power Service to the fuel...it's available at Walmart, tractor Supply,... any auto/truck parts have some brand... you can get Schaeffer's from this site's sponser...Salesrep as far as hyd. fluid...i don't have any big leaks...i buy Case fluid for my 580K you can get hyd. fluid from Tractor Supply or a local oil dist. - as long as it meets the Case spec. in your service manual... i use Bobcat hyd. fluid in my skid/excavator. years ago, i had a track loader & backhoe that had some leaks...and i bought the cheapest hyd. oil i could find...around $13 for 5 gal. i also hook up a trickle charger to my battery...
I wouldn't put a trickle charger on your batteries just charge them up full and disconnect them. If your machine is near electricity a lamp with a 100w light bulb in the cab will keep enough warmth in the cab. If the machine has a block heater plug it in the you can leave that on. Change the engine oil and filter if it hasn't been done oil sitting turns acidic not good. You can add some additive for the fuel to keep the fuel from going buggy or if it gets cold enough it jelling.
howes lubricator works the best for anti gelling in fuel.