Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel in oil

wormkiller ยท 2008-09-09 21:54

Our workhorse 950E has to visit the shop. A recent oil sample showed fuel in the motor oil. Could this be as easy as one or more bad injectors? The oil has no fuel smell and for a 3304, its running fairly smooth with some black smoke. I'm kinda worried because the head was rebuilt 1200hrs ago, I think w/new injectors. If I dont find a bad one, what else could cause fuel getting in the oil?

Replies2
  1. #1surfer-joe2008-09-09 23:09

    It may be that a jumper line to the injectors is cracked or hopefully, just loose. It could also be a worn or damaged injector. One more possibility is the injector pump may be bypassing fuel into the crankcase because of a blocked bleeder hole in the front of the body or a worn shaft seal. Good Luck!

  2. #2wormkiller2008-09-10 19:16

    Fixed Thanks for the reply Mr. Surfer. I checked the injectors, all ok, the pump had no leaks around the housing or shaft, thank the maker, but after taking the transfer pump off, the tappet and guide were a touch wore, $300 and a re-man pump,:drinkup I hope the next sample shows all clean.