966F, new seals and pins and it won't shut up! Initially it was thought that a pin wasn't taking grease. After greasing the snot out of it and having it puke everywhere at all pins we thought it would be quite but to no avail. The pins are taking grease on both sides with minimal issues and after having someone raise the boom with a full bucket (as it won't make noise when the bucket is empty) it would seem that the noise is emanating from the ram itself. My question is how probable is that, and could it even be the new seals? I can't be sure if it is one side or both but it sounds horrible and like I don't grease the loader.
did you lube the seals and wipers when you installed them or put it together dry?
I didn't do the work so I can't say either way but based on sound I think that could be someplace to look.
I would think if the pins weren't square that causes a squeal regardless of whether it's greased or not. I ran a new Deere 310J at the training grounds earlier this spring that had a squeaky backhoe bucket linkage pin. The instructor said the front bucket pins squeaked since it was new, they sent it back and found out that at the factory the pins and bushings weren't square, causing a bind.
Well the squared pins is something I can try to look at tomorrow, is that usually something that really sticks out or is it a difficult thing to judge by eye?
Can't tell by eye. Easiest way is if you can find a perfectly straight steel shaft same OD as the pins and long enough and to reach both sides. Should slide right through if it's good.
You will probably have to remove all the pins, then clean thoroughly all the grease passages, bearings, and the pins themselves. Make sure all the bushing grease holes line up properly with the grease holes in the boom coming in from the zerk. What is probably happening is that the grease is not getting everywhere it should because dirt and old stiff grease has formed narrow passageways to the outside. That's why you see grease coming out, but still have friction noise. I've run in to this in the past and it's a pain. Good Luck!
Well thanks for that surfer joe! I'll have to try and get the mech to do that work when they fix my hydraulic return line tomorrow (poor routing and has steel showing).
I think your problem is the wiper seals on the cylinder. Go to your Cat dealer and buy some hydraulic oil additive part #1U9891, I think this will solve your problem.
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums 66ken! :drinkup
should have a Komatsu Alpro
ya right:bash
http://www.insidersecretstohydraulics.com/hydraulic-cylinder-squeal.html Curly, this link might help... I don't know for suer though. This post from 66ken, might help too... again, I'm not sure though. OCR
That link was interesting and informative. I'm not sure if it could be air but considering it happens at all rpm's it's a possibility. But would it make a difference that it is quite when the bucket is empty, but makes the noise when loaded? I think I'll call the shop boss and tell him his job and demand he get me some of that additive......or I'll ask nicely.
the pos it 28 i am running is a squealer, i grease the snot out of it to no avail. turns out the loader tower is cracked where the boom lift cylinder mounts to it. the pin and bushing are now slightly cocked.
Dang!