Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel in oil problems

Jeff Rigano ยท 2017-11-24 23:10

I have a Komatsu d31e-20 with the 6d 95 engine. Just did a complete rebuild, got it back together started the break in and have fuel in the oil after about an hour of running. A lot of fuel. Took the peep hole plate off the front cover of the engine and it seems like fuel is coming from the injection pump shaft. My problem is, I can't get this thing off to save my life! Seems like the gears are stuck or something. Is there a trick to this or what? I've been turning the engine over little by little and trying to get it off and I only get about 1/4" movement out of it.

Replies8
  1. #1thepumpguysc2017-11-25 02:00

    Depends on which mdl pump you have.. Its an "INLINE PUMP, right"??? one bolts to the drive w/ 2 bolts BUT it sounds like you have the gear driven one.. You mark the gears, pump & drive gears.. & remove ALL the bolts on the BIG FLANGE, NOT the 4 holding the pump.. the drive gear comes out w/ the pump.. actually its an automatic advance unit. SET the ENGINE TIMING FIRST.. Check the supply pump BEFORE pulling the injection pump.. They have a seal in the back of them that goes out ALL THE TIME.. Pull the SP off, block the outlet & put air in the inlet & look for bubbles at the roller.. or submerse in a pan of water..

  2. #2Jeff Rigano2017-11-25 10:59

    Sorry, yes it's an inline pump. Actually an old zexel pump which I guess is bosch now. Thanks I would have never known it could leak past there. Never messed with one before. I'm guessing it won't take much air pressure to check?

  3. #3Jeff Rigano2017-11-25 14:30

    Checked the supply pump and no bubbles in a bucket of water. So need to get the pump off. I took off the highlighted nuts and the 2 on the back you can't see. Still can not get this thing off. What in the world am I missing.

  4. #4Jeff Rigano2017-11-25 14:31

    And before someone asks yes everything else is unhooked from the pump. I just can't get the gear to come out

  5. #5Ronsii2017-11-25 14:49

    Remove all bolts on BIG flange, as posted by PumpGuy in post #2

  6. #6Jeff Rigano2017-11-25 14:53

    Yep my head was somewhere it shouldnt have been lol....i could write a book about what I dont know about a injector pump

  7. #7thepumpguysc2017-11-25 17:04

    Gotta access the FRONT.. remove the front cover, then its all down hill.. Ya GOTTA TIME THE ENGINE 1ST,, Remove the side cover on the inj. pump.. rotate the engine until #1 plunger starts to rise.. that's #1 cyl compression stroke & look for some timing marks.

  8. #8thepumpguysc2017-11-25 17:10

    I pressure test at 20-25 psi, then lower the psi to about 5.. some leak at hi & some at low.. You can do the same thing w/ the inj. pump.. remove the side cover & just LOOK to see if it leaks inside. OR use a spray bottle w/ soapy water.