I've got an old D5 96J Cat that I need to identify the blade on. It's the straight tilt blade with 5 cutting edges on the bottom that I need to replace. Can't find any tags/numbers so any help identifying the blade arrangement would be appreciated. The bottom has worn down to the point it's wearing the bolts off holding the cutting edges on. My thought is to flip the blade upside down and weld a 1" - 2" piece of solid stock across the bottom with 7018 rod. I'm thinking that should support the bottom of the new cutting edges to keep from ripping them off. Any advice on repairing this would be appreciated.
That is one of the tricky things with Cat "Dozers" the 96J only links to the tractor part the "Blade/Dozer" is actually more or less considered an accessory as is the hydraulic system that would operate the blade. Hopefully someone can come up with the actual model of the "bulldozer" used on the D5 tractor.
That should be a 92Hxxxx blade.....
OM, Glad you could get the information
Thanks Old Magnet! I owe you lunch if I ever get back out to California. That's twice you've helped me in the last couple of years.
Glad to help. Now I'm curious as to what the earlier event was?
Actually, this was the third time. The first was when my torque converter was overheating. Finally figured out that was caused by my oil intake pipe getting dented which limited the flow of oil through the TC. The other was when I had to replace the dead axle and was having trouble getting it out.