Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

fuel leak

Katherine A DeHaven ยท 2022-08-16 20:19

hello again, John Deere 410D 1996. I had my machine stall out mid use. Checking the manual it said to inspect fuel line and bleed fuel filter. after looking around a noticed an obvious leak on what i think is called the "fuel return line from leak off line" I did not work on it for a week and collected the fuel underneath and about 1/5 to 1/4 of a gallon came out. I replaced this hose that went from the engine back to the fuel tank and also took the opportunity to replace the fuel/water filter. I noticed i had a bit of air come out of the bleed screw before i removed. (bubbles) My question what i should do before i attempt to start, I obviously don't want to hurt the engine. Should i be priming the fuel somehow. manual says i need to operate the hand pump primer which i was able to find. I've heard that you never want to run out of fuel with these machines (i'm not sure if this leak did that).

Replies4
  1. #1cosmaar12022-08-16 21:25

    Did you fill the new filter up with fuel prior to installing?

  2. #2Katherine A DeHaven2022-08-16 22:33

    No i was under the idea that the hand primer at the fuel pump would do this. i tested this hand pump out before i installed the filter and fuel came out where the filter would be.

  3. #3willie592022-08-16 22:47

    Deere 410D likely has the Stanadyne type filter. Open bleed screw at top of filter housing, pump primer pump until fuel flows from bleeder, close bleed screw, continue pumping primer pump for maybe 8 to 10 strokes. Keep in mind, you reported the machine stalled, and a failed fuel return line back to tank would not cause that, it would cause a fuel leak at worse, but not engine stall, something else caused that. Maybe the filter was clogged and by replacing will fix the problem, won't know until you try and start it.

  4. #4DB22022-08-16 23:28

    All good advice. May have ran out of fuel due to the leak. When we have that issue I find that cracking a couple of injector lines at the pump helps to purge the air from them. Good luck !