Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel leak on fuel pump shaft!

oilerman ยท 2023-10-25 18:20

The fuel is leaking on that stub shaft that the throttle linkage hooks onto. Is there a oring inside there or a seal?

Replies9
  1. #1oilerman2023-10-25 18:35

    I should mention this is on a 1984 D6D

  2. #2Welder Dave2023-10-25 22:35

    I'd guess it's a cup type seal. If it's anything like on a 3204 you might be able to fit 2 seals in the cover. Would be good to have a page from the parts breakdown to see what's inside so you don't accidently have things come apart when you take the cover off.

  3. #3oilerman2023-10-26 12:01

    Thanks Dave! I'll do some digging and see what I can find. Do you think that would cause it to suck air through there and make it lose prime? I changed fuel filters cause it is starving for fuel...that lasted fir awhile then a few days later I drove it to the shop and it sounded like it was missing...and when I throttled down it quit. Had to pump the primer to get it going again.

  4. #4Nige2023-10-26 12:13

    Post a Serial Number and you are welcome to a parts list for the fuel injection pump and governor control.

  5. #5oilerman2023-10-26 12:20

    Yes govrenor....the serial number is really hard to read on this cat..worn off ...but I'll try coloring it in with a pencil

  6. #6Nige2023-10-26 12:35

    Unfortunately when it comes to D6D there are a lot of options, hence why a S/No is always a good start. Yours is most likely to be a US-built tractor, but certainly not guaranteed to be.

  7. #7kshansen2023-10-26 13:15

    Getting the S?N will help getting more an better information, but for right now I can say this much. Yes there is a lip seal in that cover where the shaft comes out, but there should not be fuel leaking there unless the internal seal is also bad. See arrow in picture below: The seal in the cover where fuel is coming out is the one marked as #10 if you look to the left on that shaft where I have the arrow pointing there is another seal that should be keeping fuel from getting in to the area where the parts marked 4 and 7 are located. Both of those seals are same part number 4N2786. The main thing is if you remove the shaft the fork part number 1 will drop out and that is not a good sound! I'm 99% sure that the whole governor end has to come off to replace the inner seal and get it back together. It's been to many years since I have done that job so hopefully someone else can give you information on that, not really a bad job but needs to be done carefully! If you can post the S/N I'm thinking someone will come up with the information. At least one other person on the forum has done this job in the last couple of weeks.

  8. #8Welder Dave2023-10-26 14:02

    It is a little different than a 3204. It seems odd the inner seal isn't listed in the above photo. Maybe on the parts list it mentions 2.

  9. #9kshansen2023-10-26 14:12

    No in what can sometimes be a "gotcha" with Cat parts books they show the inner seal in an almost impossible to find area like this: See that item #7 just about in the middle of the picture? That's the inner seal same part number 4N2786!