Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel Per Hour

Preppypyro ยท 2008-11-27 10:22

Hey guys, just curious how much fuel some of your fellas trucks use per hour. I have a 444 cummins with a 8ll tranny (not sure of the gear ratio offhand) and im just trying to get a reasonable estimate on how much fuel my truck will use per hour. (gallons or liters) I know each truck and engine is different but just curious what some of those differences are!

Replies8
  1. #1PSDF3502008-11-27 19:40

    I have heard around 50 gallons a day. But I don't have one yet so can't give you my experiance there, only what I have heard.

  2. #2dumptrucker2008-11-29 03:47

    I have a n-14 435 hp cummins in my truck and depending on what I am doing I will burn anywhere from 40 to 65 gallons a day.

  3. #3Kgmz2008-11-29 18:33

    What do you mean by wanting to know fuel per hour? In what situation? Idling, 10 mph, 30mph, 60mph? That engine will get about 5 to 5.5 miles per gallon on average. It will burn .5 to 1 gallon a hour idling. These numbers come from my experience with a truck we once owned with a Cummins 400 BCIII Cummins turned up to 475, and 13 spd. In marine situations they measure fuel per hour, and that engine will run anywhere from 10 to 33 gallons per hour depending on the load, speed, etc.

  4. #4dumptrucker2008-11-30 07:52

    I am pretty sure he is not asking at about fuel consumption at an idle. I don't think he bought a truck to let it idle all day. He is just looking for a roundabout number to get an idea of what he might spend on fuel in a day. I swear some people like to get so technical over the easiest questions just to make it look like they are a genious or something.:Banghead:beatsme

  5. #5Preppypyro2008-11-30 11:53

    Yeah I was just looking for a general kinda answer! I know there are way to many variables to say ok my truck is going to use x-amount per hour. I was just curious what other guys were getting so I could see what range I was looking it. For my normal job I have a company truck a fuel card, and could care less how much fuel I burn! Now that I have my own, Im getting more and more interested in getting more general ideas what it would cost to run the truck. (fuel wise) I bought my dumptruck to tow around my backhoe, but for the winter (when backhoeing slows down) I was pondering seeing if i could run the truck for someone (IF I could find someone to run it for) instead of going back to my normal job of driving/working in the oil field kgmz, when you had that 400 cummins, on an average work day (idling/driving/etc) what would you estimate fuel to cost ya? Per day/hour? Dumptrucker, in a day of running your truck, what would you guess you approximate hours are? Some guys work 8's, some guys 12's some guys 15's(max you can run up here), just curious!

  6. #6dumptrucker2008-11-30 12:15

    My hours are usually 11 hour days, 5 days a week.

  7. #7busdrivernine2008-11-30 17:08

    I have a 88 Pete with a Cummins Big CamIV 400 with 15spd OD with 3.55 and I run 1650 miles and used about 332gals of fuel figures just about 5 miles a gal

  8. #8Kgmz2008-11-30 18:44

    I had the truck with the 400 Cummins in the late 80's thru early to mid 90's. This was a tractor with tandems and lift axle that we used to pull our Trail King TK110 tri-axle detachable goose neck low boy. Around 1990 construction just about died around here, and I had this $1,200 a month truck payment on this truck. So I decided to find some work for it. So I did heavy hauls, equipment, over height loads that would fit in the well, etc., usually from Seattle to Spokane, Boise, Missoula, Medford, etc. I could gross up to 102,500 lbs. with this setup. Since you asked I looked and I still have my old spread sheet on my computer with all the details for each load. And the nice thing is I was paid for the round trip and almost always went one way empty. Examples: Seattle to Boise and back, drove 1231 miles, used 239.99 gallons of fuel, cost of fuel was $317.69, fuel mileage was 5.13 mpg. Interesting to see that the fuel price was 1.32 a gallon back on 2/23/96. Seattle to Spokane and back, drove 676 miles, used 127.1 gallons of fuel, cost of fuel was $164.00, fuel mileage was 5.32 mpg. Price of fuel was $1.29 a gallon back on 10/03/94. Seattle to Lewiston, ID and back, drove 543 miles, used 103 gallons of fuel, cost of fuel was $133.54, fuel milage was 5.27 mpg. Price of fuel was $1.29 a gallon on 9/05/95. Our current dump trucks have either 475hp Detroit series 60's or 475hp Cat C-15's. These are dump trucks with single or double lift axles with 3 and 4 axle pups, so the combo's have 8 axles total rated at 105,500 GVWR. Just doing fairly local hauls within 50 miles max back and forth from the gravel pit, we only burn maybe 50 gallons a day in a 8 hour day. We are getting paid $95 to 120 a hour depending on who/what the job is for when hauling for someone else with these setups. The Cats only get 5 to 5.5 mpg, and the Detroits get 5.5 to 6.5 mpg depending on how many hills we have to pull, etc. The Detroits on a really good day with not too many hills have got up to 7.5 mpg.