I have been attempting to start a 1950's D6 9U after setting for some time. I did get it running and while driving it to a location to load on a truck it died on a hillside. I have fuel coming from the tank, and through filters and a small electric secondary pump all the way to the inlet into the block that houses the injector pump etc. I feel like the blockage is due to the change in orientation when I went on the hillside but have no idea how to prime the pump or correct this issue. Please, any ideas. Thanks, Kelly
Kelly, Others on here can help more, but that machine didn't come with an electric secondary pump so someone has had trouble with it getting fuel to the injector pump before you got it. The rack can stick causing a no fuel situation.
Thanks. True, I had my suspicions on such. How can I check to see the position on the rack?
Take the side cover off the pump to see if it's actually moving when the throttle lever is pulled. The lifters on the individual pumps can stick on them too, you can see them move up and down when you have the cover off by spinning the engine over. I copied a picture that Old Magnet had posted on the ACMOC site.
Goofed up the picture I uploaded the same picture twice and don't know how to get rid of one of them after I've uploaded it. It's the same picture but one is unreadable.
Lots of candidates and things to check.....first off what do you have for fuel pressure at the gauge mounted on the filter tower? Have you checked the pressure relief valve in the fuel inlet to the transfer pump? When was the fuel system last serviced with filter change and cleaning?. Did you go through the proper bleeding process? Is the rack responding to throttle movement? Is the fuel clean and free of water?
Thanks old magnet! I can't read the pressure on the filter tower, it's too worn. We emptied the old fuel and put new fuel with diesel additive in. I have owned the dozer 3 years. Only used it maybe 30 hours. Never had any problems til a friend said he could tune on it and ended up getting it stuck and throwing a track. It sat for a year until this past week when we were finally able to get the track back on. Couldn't believe it fired up with little effort. Then when we got on an incline it shut down. Makes me think some trash rolled into the line or filters. What should the fuel pressure be from the factory and was it originally only gravity fed? Thanks a million guys!
Fuel is gravity fed to the transfer pump that charges the filter housing and the injector pump. The pressure should be around 30 Psi. Oh be sure to drain and wash out the filter housing. Later Bob
Fuel pressure (new) at the gage is only about 15 psi on the D4/D6 "U" models. Operation gets kind of iffy below 5psi, 10 psi is a good number.
Thanks Bob and Old Magnet! You guys are awesome. I will let you know how it goes!