Hi, working backhoe, stopped running, suspected fuel filter, replaced filter, new filter did not come with gasket, so put it on anyway, old filter didn't have one either... getting fuel to the filter, to the pump, but no flow from pump to the injectors. Should I remove the new filter and get a gasket? Is this the problem?
Welcome to the HEF. Sorry about your back hoe problems. We’ll need some extra information to help you, out. What color is your backhoe?
Yellow, It's a cat 416B, will NOT start after changing fuel filter.. no flow from the injector pump to the injectors, flow to injector pump from filter ok
???? VERY serious, need some advise, not sarcasm....
Loosen all injector high pressure lines at the injectors. Spin engine over until fuel spurts out of all lines. Tighten lines and see if it starts.
Ok, but when I removed the line(s) to the injectors, no juel was coming from the pump to the injectors...
Wrap a rag around a blowgun, and have somebody juice the fuel tank with compressed air as you crank it over. Does the machine have a prime pump?
Do I need to go looking for the missing gasket???
There wasn't necessarily a gasket. Post a picture of the filter.
Also, it might have been a Coaldusty sort of a way to approach things, but "backhoe" is not enough information for anything but the most generic fuel priming advice. A serial number would be pretty useful, especially in regards to your questions about gaskets.
At key ON, is there 12volt on the stop solenoid? One of the two terminals (other is ground)?
According to my quick search, the inj pumps that fit that engine, have an electric shut off solenoid on them.. Check the voltage going to the solenoid.. It easy to knock a wire off while changing a filter..
Beat me to it..
No, thanks for the advise, I am trying to locate a gasket for the filter, live in the boondocks, so guess I will be travelling.. the backhoe is on a job, can't move it, obviously, but will see if I can get a compressor out there... what about the missing gasket???
thanks, I will check the solenoid wiring, and jump a hot wire to the solenoid to see if it is working....
How do you know you have a missing gasket if there wasn’t one there when you took the old filter off? Pic of filter so we can tell you
A quick check in SIS would figure out the gasket question. But you can put "backhoe" into Sis, so here we sit . . .
The OP has two threads on this machine, going at the same time. He did post all the vital statistics in the other thread. I think he’s dealing with that ridiculous Stanadyne box filter, which are tough to prime. It’s an antique, Desford built, A model. We should delete this thread and resume discussion in the other thread.
Where is the other one?
I always took a squeeze bottle and filled those filters.. Or if it had a hand primer on the engine, I’d leave the line loose to allow air to escape and use the hp..
Sorry, my bad. That was 88 cat416 with his old backhoe. Damn