Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel system bleeding

sdavies2000 · 2022-12-18 16:53

So let me preface this by saying a lot of people are going to say wow you’re an idiot lol I bought a 2009 hitachi Zaxis 200lc 3 recently and have been running it a fair bit. Last night I decided I should drain the water from the separator. The three canisters all looked like separators to me. I’m not used to seeing fuel filters with clear housings like a lot of separators have. So I loosened the plastic petcock on all three and drained water off of them. I should note this was done with the engine running. As I’m doing it I can see air bubbles rising inside the canisters and I know deep down I’m creating a problem. I shut the machine off and that was that. This morning I went out and fired her up then came in to eat breakfast while she warmed up. When I went back out to get to work the machine was off. Clearly air in the system. The cartridge I now believe to be the separator only has 2 inches of fuel in it and the filters look to be full. Like an idiot I spent all afternoon searching for the hand priming pump so I could get thing bled and back to work. Needless to say I never found one. Turns out there’s an electronic pump right next to the filters and I’m guessing there’s no need for a mechanical hand priming pump. Problem now is, I can’t get any fuel. The priming pump isn’t moving any fuel. The pump runs but isn’t pulling any fuel from the tank and not filling the canisters. I cracked the vent screws on the filters but still nothing. Do these pumps need to be primed themselves? If so, how does one do that? Also,what’s the proper procedure for draining water off these units? The engine is a 4 cyl Isuzu.

Replies8
  1. #192U 34062022-12-18 16:57

    Did you shut the drains on the bottom of the filters? One of the filter housings should have a hand primer, it looks like a plastic hex shape, maybe 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter. Just have to unthread it first in order to pump it. That electric primer pump also has a strainer filter in it and they get neglected far more often than you think.

  2. #292U 34062022-12-18 16:59

    Yep bottom filter in the picture, the one closest to you. That black plastic hex behind the bleed screw is your hand primer. Didn't see it at first.

  3. #3sdavies20002022-12-18 22:17

    Well those sneaky little buggers! Thanks 92u ! yes I closed the drains I’ll give it a go with the hand pump in next day or two. I’m not sure if I ever would have caught on that there was a hand pump ha there. So does it prime the electric pump or should my electric pump be pulling fuel on its own through that filter housing.

  4. #492U 34062022-12-18 22:25

    I normally would hand prime the entire system first and then cycle the key to let the electric pump do its thing. If you're not pulling any fuel with the hand primer, I would start checking fuel lines. If air can get sucked in ahead of the pump or primer, no fuel will get pumped. I would recommend checking the strainer in the bottom of the electric pump as well regardless. I've had several that were over 1/2 plugged. That's a major fuel restriction you don't want.

  5. #5sdavies20002022-12-19 07:35

    Where do I find the strainer in that electric pump? Looks like maybe the one end of the pump that has a small wire connected to it maybe twists off.

  6. #692U 34062022-12-19 12:02

    Yep that's where its hiding.

  7. #7sdavies20002022-12-20 15:59

    Well I have to thank you 92u. She’s back up and running, without your help I’d still be standing on my head In the engine compartment looking for the primer on the side of the engine. hopefully this helps someone else out in the future too. thanks and Merry Christmas.

  8. #892U 34062022-12-20 17:11

    No problem. Glad you're up and running again.