Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel system treatment

D5GDevo ยท 2012-10-21 19:48

Hey Guys, Thought I would throw this out there to get everyone's opinion on fuel system treatment additives. I just went through a pretty costly repair on my fuel system as everyone knows that read and replied to my thread on "D5G Fuel system problems". I don't know for sure what caused the problem but if a fuel additive would keep it from having any more problems I would use it every time. what do you all think?

Replies10
  1. #1lobo2012-10-22 21:26

    I use fuel treatment every tank. Todays fuel is low sulpher. Sulpher is a lubricant in fuel. I use a additive with lubricity, cetane, and water elemenating qualities. It should also be anti-gel for cold weather.

  2. #2lectro882012-10-22 21:54

    There is a very in depth thread about this and it is very informative. I double treat my diesel, 1 with the silver jug Power Service and also about 100:1 with wal-mart super tech 2cycle outboard oil. Not recommended in newer injection systems. But personally, I'll risk damage with a little extra oil or lubricant. I see it as cheap insurance. or little money compared to a repair bill.

  3. #3lectro882012-10-22 22:09

    check lubrication. I bumped the thread covering this topic pretty well.

  4. #4Greg2012-10-23 19:05

    I know several guys who add a quart of ATF per 100 gallons of fuel for lubrication. The ultra low sulfur fuel does not have the lubricating properties of the previous fue. I also have a couple close to me who get some of my bioDiesel and mix about about one gallon to 100 of diesel for lubrication.

  5. #5boaterri2012-10-23 19:10

    I use "Howe's Diesel Treat" in the DD6-71TIs that live in my boat. A different application to be sure but the product increases lubricity and helps remove water from the diesel. This makes it impossible for algie to grow. The product is intended for heavy truck engines and can be purchased at any heavy truck supply/parts house. Rick

  6. #6tuney4432012-10-24 00:49

    I used to use Howes for over 20 years but then saw a dose [no pun intended] of reality over at The Diesel Place's additive lubricity in depth study.It's a sticky there and well regarded as the best guide to choose your additive.It was an easy choice for me to switch as I use Schaefer Oil exclusively so I now use Schaefer 2000 Fuel Treat.It made it on the top 10 list and it's an emulsifier type.Using it for app. 4 years now in everything,every fill,0 issues.

  7. #7inyati132012-10-25 22:22

    I use Opti-Lube

  8. #8LWG2012-10-25 23:33

    Another vote for Opti-Lube.

  9. #9jackie6062012-10-26 07:58

    yes!

  10. #10ben46a2012-10-26 08:58

    Stanadyne, its what cat uses and sells as well (in their own packages of course)