Seen so many guys with fuel tanks and electric pumps in the back of thier trucks. They are working in very dusty conditions and the nozzle is in its holder while waiting for the next fueling. When they need to fuel a machine they grab the nozzle, turn the pump on and shove the nozzle into the tank filler and shoot. I have seen the inside of such nozzles just caked in dust. Your suppose to shoot 1/2 a liter or so into a waste 20 liter pail to clean the nozzle out. No big deal, the silica in sizes down to 1 micron or more love to pass through the fuel pumps and system wearing them out prematurely. Then the problems start, and this machine is costing too much. Sound familiar. Simon C
In the military, every fuel nozzle has a dust/dirt cover for just what you're talking about. And I believe it's a requirement for aviation fuel pumps: https://www.jmesales.com/fjord-avia...drIqP8XAnR3uUTROZEBCFP2fneRJuVSMaAlMiEALw_wcB While I agree about flushing the nozzle with a pint or so of fuel into the waste bin, having a waste bin readily available is why no one really does it.
Lazy fuel guy never cleaned around fuel tank filler, crane sits not too far from sand blasting place. Primary filter off if the crane
In that case no machine owner should complain when they have to replace HP fuel pumps, fuel rails, and injectors. Cat should still stamp this on their fuel tank caps IMHO.
Not arguing with anyone but I assume (and yes, I understand what happens when I assume) that fuel filters are designed to remove particles that would cause harm to systems. IIRC, there are about 25 microns to the 1/1000th of an inch so for a 1 micron particle to rub and make wear, the tolerance of the parts needs to be closer than the diameter of the particle or 0.00004 inches which is really tight. Otherwise the particle more or less just passes through with minimal abrasion.
And for amusement....
Unfortunately that's not correct. An appropriately-maintained fuel system using the correct filters and draining water/sediment from the fuel tank on a regular basis will remove MOST of the particles. One of the most dangerous things they won't remove efficiently is water. The latest generation of common rail fuel injection sytems are very intolerant of contamination, and I for one never cease to be amazed at the blase way most machine owners treat their fuel systems, then bitch like crazy when it costs them big bucks to replace worn components.
I’ve cleaned out and fixed all the fuel tank sump drain lines and valves, for all my regular customers. Told them all drain it EVERY MORNING BEFORE you start your engines. They never do it, keep calling me “blowing that fuel line back to tank”. There’s no hope for those people!
Summary execution is far too good for people like that.
Everyone has seen the “fuel filter” hanging on the side of the pumps at the truck stop or conv. store.. Ya ever wonder how often they get changed.?? and WHO is in charge of doing it.?? It definitely isn’t Becky behind the counter… lol
The Mountain Dew bottle that replaces the lost fuel cap won’t have that stamped on the bottom though… the lack of care about debris and protection when fueling, filling oils, etc is astounding. Need to top off hydraulic oil? Use the half empty 5 gallon bucket that’s been bouncing around f the back of the pickup and gathering water and dirt and woodchips in it. “tHaTs WHat fILtErS aRe foR”
Paintball barrel socks/covers make an easy and cheap cover for transfer tank nozzles. That is what I have on the nozzle in my truck bed tank. Wrap the excess shock cord around the nozzle holder a few times and the nozzle won’t bounce out, either. Something like this:
I try to always wipe off/out the nozzle on my tanks when I fill equipment, but preventing it from getting dirty in the first place would be even better. I'll look into those paintball gun covers. The nozzle on my tank at the farm keeps getting spiders/webs in it which are a pain to get out.
I just put some on the ground
It’s my job to change those, admittedly, I have been slacking. It’s just been so cold outside. Becky is coming over later to help me feed the rabbits. Then, maybe chill and Netfix. That girl needs a CDL, for that dump truck, if you know what I mean. I better get some covers for my nozzle.