Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel Tank Removal 580SE

bowen ยท 2013-05-23 05:50

Can someone enlighten me on how to get the fuel tank off a 580 Super E hoe? I have all the lines loose plus the air box and frame in front of the tank. The tank is curved down/back and sits in behind the large welded in cross member. I thought the tank would pull straight up as it just sits on 2 curved supports. But it hits in the rear; it looks like the tank needs to lean WAY out at the top where the hydraulic filter/engine is in the way. It's just sitting there loose and wobbly, but when I pull it up it stops after about 2". Is there some trick to this? It almost looks like I might have to remove the hydraulic filter/lines then possible those parts sticking up on the engine! If I could lean it forward enough or pull it out at the bottom it might come out of the hole. Crazy... Surely it's not that hard to take a tank off. My service manual does not discuss this at all.

Replies2
  1. #1alrman2013-05-23 07:44

    Not a pleasant job bowen. I can't recall if it was the D or E model ..... you my need to remove the cylinder head to get it out...... or move the engine fwd. Try the tappet cover first. Goes without saying, the hyd filter & plumbing will need moving too. Is it leaking?

  2. #2bowen2013-05-23 16:09

    Yeah, but just the cutoff. I wanted to remove it to clean the crud out of the tank bottom. I have a new cutoff and drain plug to install. I can get the parts off/on but it sure would be easier if I could remove it. I also planned to paint the tank while I had it out. I suppose I will just clean it as best possible where it sits. I'm not gonna move the motor forward... Whomever designed this tank did not expect it to ever be removed.