Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

70s ford 7500 backhoe

pgboy ยท 2013-05-23 17:30

Newbie here. bought a ford 7500 backhoe. blew a stabilizer hose. replaced hose added fluid and now I have no hydraulics working at all. Any help would be great

Replies28
  1. #1rust farmer2013-05-24 05:13

    I'm sure you topped off your hydraulic fluid level after fixing that hose. How much fluid did you lose? You may need to prime your pump.

  2. #2pgboy2013-05-24 13:04

    I added about 5 gallons of oil. My hydraulic pump is a gear type. I thought that they were self priming.How do you prime the pump?

  3. #3jimg9842013-05-24 13:08

    self priming fill hyd tank to proper level opereate and refill to proper level

  4. #4pgboy2013-05-24 13:22

    I tried that. Oil level is halfway up the dipstick.Tried removing one of the lines on the discharge side of the pump, no fluid came out with the engine running.

  5. #5jimg9842013-05-24 13:37

    look for a filter/strainer between tank and pump,,,, old fords were bad about having a strainer inside hyd tank in the outlet to pump,,,, has the pump been whining in the past,, if so its was starving for hyd oil due to a restriction from strainer due cyl packing stopping up strainer

  6. #6pgboy2013-05-24 13:46

    I will try looking for one. The pump has never made any noises. The machine was working perfectly until the line blew and the repair was done. I just thought it strange that all hydraulic functions quit all at once.

  7. #7jimg9842013-05-24 13:52

    could be the drive coupling between the pump and engine is stripped its cogs,, have to take grill out to see if the pump is turning,, takes two people to do this one watching and the other revving engine up and pull any hyd lever

  8. #8jimg9842013-05-24 13:59

    think that a 7500 would a 80s model late 80s probably

  9. #9pgboy2013-05-24 14:22

    The paperwork I have for the backhoe says it's a 1974. You talked about removing the grill. The hydraulic pump is located at the back of the motor and is mounted to the transmision housing.

  10. #10jimg9842013-05-24 14:48

    OK, sry my mind is my 1984 555A good luck, I don't its bad thing wrong with your digger, some others will join in with better info

  11. #11pgboy2013-05-24 14:51

    Thanks anyway. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution

  12. #12jimg9842013-05-24 15:05

    are you what you described is the pump? on my 555A that is a filter... look thru the grill to see for a pump up there in front of the engine

  13. #13jimg9842013-05-24 15:16

    some data you may not have http://www.tractordata.com/backhoe-loader/000/1/0/105-ford-7500-photos.html

  14. #14pgboy2013-05-24 15:29

    the link you sent shows my backhoe. You can see the filter in the picture by the front wheel. The ford manual shows 2 hydraulic pumps off the transmission, 1 for hydraulics and 1 for the transmission. Hopefully I am looking at the right one.

  15. #15rust farmer2013-05-24 19:13

    I was looking at an assembly drawing earlier today for your machine, it looks like the supply for the pump is coming out of the left saddle tank. Are you looking at the pump on the left side of the transmission ? It really seems odd that you had hydraulics before you broke the hose and not after you fixed the hose. How hard would it be to pull the pump out to see if what ever is driving the pump is ok? Is the oil level up as high as the pump or close to it? Your 7500 looks identical to my ford 5500 but my hydraulic pump is mounted on the back of the differential housing a good distance from the hydraulic tanks. Good Luck with your machine.

  16. #16pgboy2013-05-24 20:49

    The pump I am looking at is in the center, the one to the right should be the transmission. Yes the oil comes from the left saddle tank. Not easy to remove the pump, but it could be done. Just don't want to do unnecesary work and possibly create more problems. It does seem odd to lose all hydraulics. Was hopeing for an easy fix, yeah right.

  17. #17rust farmer2013-05-25 11:36

    After becoming an owner of a backhoe I have realized really quick that there is hardly any quick cheap fixes. I guess you are going to have to see if your pump is actually turning while the motor is running. Have you checked the filter and screen in the saddle tank? It seems like it might be one of those two things.

  18. #18El Hombre2013-05-25 15:18

    Ford went to 3 digit model names in '74 on most of their hoes, my 5550 is a '73. That might be a canadian model? I would pull a hose off the output of the pump or somewhere downstream that would be quick. Crank the engine with the hose in a bucket. If you don't have anything there, go to the input and find out if you're getting oil into the pump.

  19. #19pgboy2013-06-05 00:08

    Did somemore trouble shooting. Still haven't fixed the hydraulics. I tried to move the backhoe and found out that the transmission doesn't work. Anybody know why I would have lost all the hydraulics and tranny functions at the same time?

  20. #20sheepfoot2013-06-05 18:30

    pgboy, I think the drive ring on the flywheel has come apart, if the hyd doesn't work, and the machine will not move, the chances are the ring is shot or come apart where the torque is driven off the flywheel, this means you will have to pull the engine to replace the drive ring.

  21. #21pgboy2013-06-06 02:11

    Would or could it just go. The machine ran fine until we noticed the hydraulic line leaking. there was no noises or anything to give any indication that something was going on?

  22. #22sheepfoot2013-06-08 14:16

    pgboy, You may also look at the lh hand side of the trans, their is a valve mounted for the F/R, neutral dump, and gear range, the spool in the middle is the dump spool looking at the parts book on the 7500. It shows it with a pull cable and maybe a foot pedal. If it is stuck in the dump (cut out) the trans will not move either, any other head way on your machine repair?.

  23. #23pgboy2013-06-09 12:46

    I am thinking it might be the transmission booster pump. I took off the filter to change it and found out that it was missing the spring to hold the filter in place. There was some fine gritt in the houseing. thinking it might have either the preasure valve,cut off valve or the bypass valve not seating properly. Going to try taking it apart and inspect it. Thanks. I will try checking out the dump valve first, maybe I can save myself some work.

  24. #24pgboy2013-06-10 01:52

    I pulled both pumps from the transmission houseing and rebuilt them,before I put them back on I checked the drive gears. If I understand how it works(and that is a big if) I should not be able to turn the gears, they should be conected to the engine. Anyone have any Ideas as to why these gears would turn freely?

  25. #25pgboy2013-06-10 21:34

    Would this be the drive ring gear that sheepfoot was talking about?

  26. #26sheepfoot2013-06-10 22:20

    Pgboy, The flywheel has a drive ring bolted to it. The converter has a gear like a starter ring made to it, it slides into the drive ring female, bolted to the flywheel when the trans/converter housing is bolted up to the engine, it turns the main hyd pump along with the trans pump while the machine is running, moving or not. This may not be your problem, but they tend to come apart/strip out/bolts break/tie wire comes loose and the machine does not move and the hyd will not work.

  27. #27pgboy2013-06-10 23:25

    Just to confirm. The drive gears that drive the hyd and trans pumps should not be able to turn by putting a screwdriver in there with abit of force? If no, that means pulling it apart to get to the trans to see what is hooped?

  28. #28pgboy2013-06-26 01:34

    Hey Sheepfoot. Could you please confirm something for me. The drive gears that drive the hydraulic and tranny pumps should not be able to turn freely with the motor turned off. If they do that means a problem with the ring gear/fibre gear/ or something in the torque converter. That means pulling the motor to check it out further. Thanks