Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel tank straps

crane operator · 2021-09-16 07:39

Anyone have a good source for fuel tank straps? I have a r model mack that needs a pair of new straps, rust has ate the old ones up. My Fleet Pride guys were all "well they are tough to order and they never come the right length etc. etc." In other words they don't want to. My last set I just re used the bolts from each end and welded some flat strap on, but it would be easier to have the right thing.

Replies18
  1. #1Old Doug2021-09-16 08:17

    I havent had any trouble getting them but if i am in a hurry i have made several. Sounds like you need to try another parts guy.

  2. #2Junkyard2021-09-16 17:10

    Four States in Joplin? We just did some on our old L9000. Don’t recall where they came from, it rode around with a 2” ratchet strap for awhile lol. Sometimes Mack parts from the dealer aren’t insane price wise…..

  3. #3crane operator2021-09-18 09:37

    $381 - PER strap. Rubber isolator not included. So I'm just firing up the welder and using what's left of the old strap.

  4. #4kshansen2021-09-18 10:17

    Yikes, did you tell them you did not need the tank and just the strap? Trying to resist comment about what that bulldog on the hood is doing!

  5. #5Junkyard2021-09-18 16:10

    Yeet. That’s spendy. Hell everything is high now. Big Dan’s Fab Shop at your service!

  6. #6John Griffin2021-09-18 18:28

    4state trucks has a lot of universal ones if you can figure out what size you need

  7. #7kshansen2021-09-18 18:35

    Or do like I did one time on my Ford Ranger. Guy going down the highway flashed his lights at me and got me to stop. Pointed to the gas tank hanging only inches off the road by one strap. Just so happened I had a light duty ratchet strap in the cab. Hooked it thought a couple holes in the frame and tightened it up. Actually sold the truck latter that year with the strap still on there! Guy I sold it to did eventually replace with steel strap.

  8. #8Hallback2021-09-18 19:41

    Get some 1/8x4" bar & bend your own. Cut a slot in each about 4-6" from the end, insert T bolts, heat & bend over. Stitch the sides & done!

  9. #9JLarson2021-09-18 22:58

    We fab them too. I'm also glad to see fleetpride is useless all over, I was worried it was just a local problem.

  10. #10hosspuller2021-09-18 23:31

    ooh la la . .. Some 304 stainless tank straps would sure be pretty ...

  11. #11Truck Shop2021-09-19 01:08

    Damn I learned how to make a fuel tank strap 10 easy steps.

  12. #12DMiller2021-09-19 05:15

    Back years ago at another company we would take ga steel strapping add the ends of the rusted off straps or pieces from salvage straps with a welder and make our own for older or obsolete machines. Did not have to be 1/8” used a great deal of .062 as is only a tank retainer strap

  13. #13Pixie2021-09-19 06:41

    Have you wondered why they are still made out of steel ? I sure have ! A friends tank dropped right out of the truck right in the street. Had to call the fire dept., cops etc. cause you know it doesn't happen when they are empty ! I had one break recently. I'm glad there are 2. How hard would it be to make them out of stainless or nylon webbing right from the beginning ? For the price they are, sure seems like they could be stainless !!

  14. #14Truck Shop2021-09-19 07:17

    Cheaper, the real problem is the corrosion between the rubber insulator and tank with deicing fluid.

  15. #15Hallback2021-09-19 09:33

    Stick around here kid, yeh may learn sumthin'.

  16. #16Truck Shop2021-09-19 10:48

    I'm green as gourd that's for sure!

  17. #17suladas2021-09-19 17:20

    Because stainless would last forever, whereas steel they can charge you a fortune to replace them.

  18. #18DMiller2021-09-19 17:47

    Depends on the SS material Most are 304 and will still corrupt.