This is all greek to me. Anyone know what these mean? Thanks
They are body controller faults. Are there any electrical problems? They could be inactive faults.
From Navistars website: 23 2023 Gauge Cluster 14 Gauge Cluster (address 23), lost communication with ESC. Loss of drive‐train data link. Loss of communication in excess of 10 seconds.
Thanks. It's a truck I'm looking at buying. It seemed quite sluggish so I thought maybe one of these faults was putting it in a reduced power mode. I noticed evidence of a mouse nest in the fuse box area. That could be part of the problem. It's a 2004 7300 4x4 DT466 with 25k miles. Seems like a pretty decent truck for $25k but I want to make sure I'm not getting into major engine or trans issues with these codes.
Can you have someone scan it the instrument LCD display will not give you engine or transmission codes. 2004 with a DT466 was a good truck. It has an Allison transmission in it? Have the fuel pressure checked at the quick coupler on the fuel filter on the engine. There is a pressure regulator at the bottom inside of the fuel filter that is prone to dirt and rust. the pressure drops and the power drops off. It should be 55 to 65 PSI. The rust that builds up in the steel tanks eventually starts to build up in the bottom of the filter housing and fouls the pressure regulator. If the pressure is down a good cleaning and a new regulator and the power is back. This is a common problem with that year of DT466.
There is also a strainer at the bottom of the fuel filter housing that needs to be cleaned occasionally.
Thanks! I will have to ask about scanning the engine codes. Didn't realize it was separate from the instrument codes. It doesn't have an standard OBD port so I can't use my Bluetooth OBD reader. It has a 6 speed Allison. I'm wondering how well it will hold up to heavy towing/hauling. I will have to check into the fuel filter/regulator etc.
There were several models of Allison available with them I do believe. If it is a 3xxx series transmission, it will be fine, the 2xxx series trannies were not quite heavy enough to tow heavy IMO.
I didn't think to look for a sticker or info plate on the transmission. Any chance that info could be determined by the VIN?
Give me the last 8 of the vin and I will see what info is available.
1HTWBAAN34J087948
This most of the transmission info: TRANSMISSION, AUTOMATIC {Allison MD-3060P} Close Ratio, 5-Speed; With PTO Gear and Less Retarder
Thanks, I thought it was a 6 speed but I guess I was wrong haha. What does "less retarder" mean? Can't use it with an engine brake?
The 4x4 uses a different oil filter Its shorter to clear the front axle drive shaft. The filter that fits a rear wheel drive only will not fit the filter head on the 4x4.
I believe less retarder mean no transmission retarder. The engine probably has an exhaust brake.
A MD-3060 has 6 possible ratios, but frequently they only were programmed to go to 5th gear because of other limitations such as drive shaft RPM, etc.
Interesting. Thanks for all the info
I did end up buying the truck. I started a new thread for it. Thanks again for the help
Finally borrowed a USB link to read codes Looks like I need to investigate my ICP sensor and intake air temp sensor.
Air intake sensor was simple, someone had unplugged the wire to it and apparently forgot to plug it back in. ICP sensor was $250 but took care of that problem. No engine light now, just the body controller faults.
Diamond Logic Builder the body controller software is available as a free download from Navistar's website.
I found DLB but it looks like they want $648 for it. Is there an old version that's free that I couldn't find?
This is an older version: https://evalueb.internationaldelivers.com/servicetools/dlb/installation.jsp It may still work on a newer version of windows. II see it has moved to subscription based. There is a way to clear codes with the steering wheel buttons and signal switch. I will see if I can find it when I get home. Terry
Thanks for all the help! That link seemed to go to the same installer for DLB but I found that the codes can be reset by putting the left blinker on and then pressing cruise on and resume. I will try it tomorrow.