I need to replace a 80 gallon tank with a 60 gal for room to mount a pump. The truck has a 60 on the drivers side 80 on other side. A factory 60 is $ 1600.00 a after market is $600.00 but the after market is 22" tall factory is 24 1/2" tall. This is a newer truck or i would throw caution to the wind and buy the cheaper tank and make things work. Has anyone put a smaller tank in the wrong size saddles ? I guess i could bend straps to line the old saddles then shorten the straps. There is a $400.00 core charge on the new tank unless i can find a old tank and cut the filler neck off of it.
Upfitters are swapping those things around all the time. Might be worth trying some of the outfits in your area and see what they have out back. The dealer prices for tanks and mounts is ridiculous. Or, you might consider modifying your 80 gallon to fit. That’s what I would do. It’s a fairly straightforward job for guys that do it all the time. You could get it cut and fitted. Then, have someone weld it for you.
4 state trucks shows 70 gallon round tanks, 24.5. 36" long. $500 or so depending on where you want the fill and where the fuel lines sit. They don't say anything about a core charge (that's a new one for me). Shipping should only be $100 or so and no straps to mess with. https://www.4statetrucks.com/fuel-t...5in-x-36in-fits-kenworth-2007-older_29955.asp
I would get the 70 and be happy but the big shots want a 60. I have run into a core charge before on a KW tank. If it was my truck i would get a pocket full of green backs and go hunting. If the tank was cut down the fill neck would also need moved i bet this would got costly. One big deal is i am close to 2 hours from any were and the phone dosent get you far with finding some thing that wasnt factory.
That's hilarious. The 60 gallon is 34" long vs the 70 gal at 36", and then you have to remount/ rebuild everything. Good thing you get paid by the hour and not the job. I was trying to make it easy for you.
I dont have my notes with me but the factory 60 is shorter because its taller. The truck will have a liquid petrolium pump that could be mounted with the 70 easy but i would wast my breath trying to talk them in to its crazy. After i get this done it will go some were to have the pump mounted witch i am taking off another truck that would be a easy job the bad part could be the pto. I could do this and have before they forgot i redid one 2 trucks ago but i wount bring this up unless i get board.
Do you just need a shorter tank?
The core charge is usually the filler neck. You might try Custom Truck/ One Source in KC. They build and modify all kinds of trucks. Acres and acres of every kind of truck and part you can think of. They bought the Terex boom truck facility in IA and moved it to KC, bought Load King and build it all there. You can buy frame rails there by the foot etc etc. Still a bit of a drive for you but you could lay your eyes on a lot of iron in one trip.
Old Doug, By chance, are you installing a Dave Palmer, PT Safety Pumping Systems system with the chassis saver frame mounts?
Thats the first place i called they said they didnt have any thing. I am still waiting for a call back from the used parts side of custom. I have bought alot of used and new stuff from them but if i ever write a book on how not to run a parts place they would have a big chapter all there own but there agin i havent drove there and ask face to face. No this pump dosent have any safetys on it . My pump will be all most 90% inside the frame. The Dave Palmer pump looks like a very good setup.
I like the Dave Palmer set up with the 3” Blackmer. Very well designed unit. I’ve installed a few. Dave even flew to Alaska on his own dime to help my old crew install the first one at my previous employer. Plus, Dave is a first-class guy. He just relocated his ops to Texas. Dedicated methanol service. Back when I was heavy into the meth. Moved a lot of the meth to the North Slope. 99.99% pure. Love the 1230. Mix it with some water, blue dye and a tablespoon of detergent and you got bulk washer fluid. Slap a brand on it and you are in the washer fluid biz. Good margins. I would use more of his systems, except there just isn’t enough frame space on a tanker. I only use them on tractors, yanking tanks.
T601
T601 hitched to T1301
Let me show you a money and time saver while mounting pumps. Instead of Fabricating a custom mount every time, Seneca Tank Truck sells one. It’s a one-piece 1/2” stainless steel unit with pre-punched holes for the frame and the pump(s). Sweet set up and relatively inexpensive.
I end up mounting the pump i built a new mount made up all the parts. It has been working good no problems. One of the other trucks has its pump on the right side and the pto on the left side so its shaft is almost a 45 this is never good would this cause the pump to pump funny the hose from the truck to trailer moves around alot?
That sounds like a goofy arrangement. I don’t think it would change pump performance, but certainly eat u-joints and create weird vibrations. I could see it wearing out pump output seals prematurely.
It has been along time and I am a bit out of touch. However with high angles some times turning the slip yoke 90 degrees works better. Or use a hex driveshaft and split the difference. If you have the length mount a center shaft on hangers. It is amazing the angle that can be set up and run smooth that way.
I have seen several truck like this they were built buy well known shops. The place i work at had a propane truck built with this set up the builder said it was the only way and that a pto couldnt be put on the right side of the allison. They thing was about unusable could only pump at low rpms. They used it one winter and the next year i had a pto put together for the other side it was a 1000 times better.Putting the pump inline with the pto is most of the time more work but its worth it. Yes u-joints dont last long.
A lot of times, a hydraulic PTO makes sense with an Allison. I don’t care for the extra weight, cost and complexity.
I was starting to reply that a hyd. PTO was nice. But forgot to finish. Had them on some trucks in the past. Also had a straight drive shaft. The Roadrangers were really bad. The pump was on the bottom of the tank on the right side up high. The Roadranger PTO was on the bottom of the transmission hanging down on the left. The little drive shaft made all kinds of twists. Allisons were much straighter but the PTO housing sometimes hit the frame rail. Also one hyd system had a failure and the mfr. no longer supported it and the whole thing had to be replaced, pump, tank, cooler, and all. Such are the times we live in.
I have a older fuel truck bed maybe late 1950s it is all Hyd it has the pumps beside the hose reels they are hyd as is the hose reels. There were alot of hyd stuff around at one time but for some reason it wasnt liked very well. I did mechanic work for a company that had been around a long time they had alot of hyd stuff in there warehouse from were they took it of and went back to pto shafts and electric motor hose reels. One propane company owner told me they had tryed hyd on their propane trucks and that heat from the hyd motors was a problem. I havent seen a bobtail with hyd driven pumps but i have seen trailers with hyd pumps.