Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

RTO 9513 stuck splitter

charles walton ยท 2021-02-08 13:42

My tranny won't split the Hi-Lo, need some advice on how to get it to work right.

Replies19
  1. #1Truck Shop2021-02-09 07:45

    That 9513 should have a 4668 slave valve on the side, flip the shifter button into overdrive and check for air at splitter valve on rear of transmission 1/8" blue or black air line. If there is air then it's probably the shuttle inside the splitter valve is stuck.

  2. #2Truck Shop2021-02-09 11:01

    With engine off and moving the splitter button can you hear it shift? should hear a sharp clunk.

  3. #3charles walton2021-02-10 00:25

    Actually the button seems to be frozen up.

  4. #4Shimmy12021-02-10 00:32

    Shift knob broken?

  5. #5suladas2021-02-10 01:58

    Splitter not disengaging? That would stop button from going down on 13 speed.

  6. #6Truck Shop2021-02-10 07:25

    I will let you Eaton gear box guys take over.

  7. #7Shimmy12021-02-10 07:54

    Smart asz. I probably should have asked if his range shift still works....

  8. #8Truck Shop2021-02-10 08:42

    I have a certain set of questions I ask when someone is trying to describe their issue with a Eaton gearbox. And each gear box has it's certain set of issues.

  9. #9charles walton2021-02-10 10:48

    The red button on the side is stuck in the rearward position,it shifts fine as a 9 speed.

  10. #10Truck Shop2021-02-10 17:29

    Photo of shift selector knob please.

  11. #11Shimmy12021-02-10 20:08

    I'll bet the selector o-rings are stuck/frozen to the selector in the knob. He's going to have to take the knob apart. Or the interlock pin has sheared off.

  12. #12Truck Shop2021-02-10 21:25

    Being your a pro on eatons have at it. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

  13. #13Truck Shop2021-02-11 06:27

    I don't eat Wheaties, It's also why I wanted a photo of the selector knob. The op in a previous thread thought he had a nine speed. A photo would cut guessing, whether it is a early A4497 or late A6913.

  14. #14charles walton2021-02-11 10:12

    I will get a pic next time I go down. The truck is at my families place in Ga. and I'm in Tn. The whole family down there has the virus right now so I'm staying away unless they urgently need me.

  15. #15charles walton2021-02-11 13:25

    Last year I first thought that maybe it is a 9 speed but it has a tag for RTO 9513, I'm thinking now that the splitter is just stuck. My knob has the range selector toggle type on the front and a red button on the left side.

  16. #16Truck Shop2021-02-11 21:48

    Ok that means you have a A6913 shift selector knob. Those rarely lock up but it can happen the early 4487 knob had square cut o-rings that would wad up usually combined with a air leak.

  17. #17charles walton2021-02-12 10:39

    I'll try to take it apart next time I'm down.

  18. #18charles walton2021-05-04 20:58

    SO,over the weekend I was driving it empty and I decided to try the splitter again,the red button slid back and forth just fine at speed in the upper range but it didn't shift.

  19. #19Truck Shop2021-05-04 21:22

    With air pressure built up and engine off remove the 1/8 air line from shift selector knob to splitter cylinder at left rear on transmission. With line removed at splitter cylinder flip selector to overdrive, you should hear air coming out of that 1/8" line. If you do then the shuttle valve is stuck in splitter cylinder valve.