Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel Usage @ max RPM ?

3500 ยท 2010-05-31 15:18

Just realized that my new JD 329D burns about 6 gal per hr. running a 72" brush cutter. I was curious how that stacks up to other machines. CTL's to be more specific...

Replies12
  1. #1KSSS2010-05-31 23:32

    Are you sure? I don't burn that running a mulcher. That seems like a crazy amount of fuel to burn running nearly anything but especially a brush cutter.

  2. #235002010-06-01 07:11

    pretty sure From topped off to past the low fuel buzzer in exactly 5 hrs. I fill from a large bulk tank w/ no meter so I can't be certain on number of gallons it took to fill. The manual states a 29 gallon tank. This is why I want to verify? Now let me clarify. this brush cutting was 4'-8' tall heavy brush. Also the mower was low flow. Machine has high flow capability. I was curious if a high flow cutter would improve my gallons per hour. I would guess the answer is no. Max rpm is max rpm. My guess is I would get more acres per hour however.

  3. #3k452010-06-01 07:41

    The first warning on my JD 325 low fuel alarm goes off well in advance of actual empty. Ken

  4. #435002010-06-01 20:48

    went to get fuel in town today on empty. 24 gallons to top off. So 4.8 gallons per hour. That is better. How does that stack up?

  5. #5KSSS2010-06-01 21:05

    Thats about what I burn using a mulcher at high flow. That is still a bit of fuel but much more in the "ball park" verse the 6 gal. I would have dropped the Deere off at the dealer if that were the case.

  6. #6geozillaman2010-06-01 21:52

    test3

  7. #7Digdeep2010-06-01 22:09

    Was it rotary mower, or a flail type such as Loftness? 4.8 gph seems high for a low flow rotary and a 3.1L engine.

  8. #835002010-06-12 10:22

    It was a John Deere "Bradco" 72" cut rotary cutter. Cutting mostly 6' light brush.

  9. #9awschucks2010-06-12 18:13

    Fuel burn HI, I burn about 1/2 that in mine old New Holland.

  10. #10Dr. W2010-06-13 09:28

    My Cat 289 burns 3.2 gals/hr running the Loftness head.

  11. #1135002010-06-13 21:25

    Running the same size mower? Low flow? what size NH. Track or wheeled?

  12. #1235002010-06-13 21:29

    That is a great #. Do you run full throttle for the whole tank?