Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

growling noise in a turn

tewels ยท 2010-06-01 14:53

I'm looking to purchase a 753 bobcat. At idle, when I push the left stick forward and pull the right stick back, it will turn to the right but, there is an awfull growling noise. Also at idle, when both sticks are forward, it does move forward, but more the the right. I'm thinking of having the local dealer do a diagnostic on the machine. 1995 with 2300hrs. Any other thoughts would be appreciated..... ...thanks

Replies4
  1. #1trouble0072010-06-10 15:20

    we have a 753 and when at idle we here a grinding too and ours works fine so i would have to assume that its relatively normal

  2. #2pcbobcat2010-06-10 15:55

    growling noise If you push the sticks foward and your getting more drive from one side to the other, the first thing I would check would be the linkage adjustment. But to honest I really think you have a drive motor going out. or pump. To test you'll have to disconnect the lines going to the drive motor under the cab and plug the lines (dealer should have those in stock or hydraulic supply house) start the tractor and start givining it some stick. if the machines starts to faulter and wants to stall then your pumps good. if not I think your pump has problems. when mine did this drive motor was shot and it was like 900 for a new one. I asked him if it could be rebuilt and he said usually the casting breaks and he wouldnt recommend it. but I have read in the foroums where people have had no problems. but there was some online shop that had them for around 500. they are pretty easy to replace. hoses and four bolts and was actually accessible. hope this helps

  3. #3BobCatBob2010-06-12 22:31

    Same exact problem with mine. It's a 753C.......growls and has problems turning to the right. We're doing some work with it (limited), but intend to break it down when done and fix this problem. Good post.

  4. #4willie592010-06-13 08:45

    If you suspect you have a failed drive motor on a Bobcat, you can check the case drain filter of suspect motor. Easier said than done though, the case drain filter for each motor is sometimes not easy to get to, and when you disconnect the hose from each end of the filter, you need to have the appropriate JIC plug to plug the hose fitting or you lose a good bit of oil. Once you get the filter removed and take it apart, if you have a failed motor, it will typically deposit metal debris in the filter.