Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fueling system. Awesome.

emmett518 ยท 2021-06-06 10:37

After bringing home a Deere backhoe, I needed to figure out how to fuel it. My next door neighbor has yellow diesel cans. The tank on the hoe holds 33 gallons. I did not relish hauling 6 gas cans to and from the station in town. Another friend has a 55 gallon drum with a hand pump. Hand pumping 33 gallons sounded worse than greasing by hand. After thinking about it, I installed a 115 volt Fillrite pump, filter, water separator, hose, swivel, and nozzle on my home heating tank, and it works slick. Since I use it to heat the house, the fuel is always fresh, warm and clean. And the pump works just like a service station.

Replies7
  1. #1colson042021-06-06 10:48

    Sounds like a win to me.

  2. #2CM19952021-06-06 12:01

    Not familiar with home heating oil but I'm assuming it's dyed diesel? Question - Again I am not at all familiar with home heating oil tanks but what about summertime? Seems like it would be a great place for algae to grow if you didn't treat it. On a side note another option is to put that Fillrite on a square fuel tank and mount the fuel tank to a pallet for mobility. We've have a 110 gal one set up for off-road and a 50 gal set up for on-road fuel in addition to our L-tanks.

  3. #3DMiller2021-06-06 12:04

    Home fuel oil I do not believe is Dyed, not intended for engines use by delivery personnel cannot see it being Dyed. Have a old tank donated by a previous neighbor, has a Fillrite Pump in it but the standpipe had rusted away, bought a new standpipe and a filter as well new can lid but not gotten a transport tank to use it in yet.

  4. #4colson042021-06-06 12:15

    I've been around fuel oil for home heating since I was a kid and have never heard of anyone else having an algae bloom in their heating fuel tank. I'm not saying it can't happen, but its pretty rare. As for the fuel, its the same. Both are dyed for non-road use. Fuel oil used to still have a high sulfur content, but even that has changed more recently with legislation down to the 15ppm max that all diesel requires.

  5. #5DMiller2021-06-06 13:30

    Would not matter in a TLB or any off road machine, handy for tank use.

  6. #6John C.2021-06-06 15:50

    This brings up a question I've had for awhile. I used to get kerosene for the heater in the shop and it was clear. Last time I swear I got died #2 diesel at over $4.00 a gallon instead of kerosene. Is kerosene required to be died now also?

  7. #7DMiller2021-06-06 16:05

    Not heard of dyed Kerosene sounds like someone slipped one in.