Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Vacuum Pump for Hydraulics

Ldvlie · 2021-06-12 08:53

Looking for a 12 volt vacuum pump for hydraulic systems. Deere has one and Wirtgen Group has one, but I would rather get one from a third party if possible. Has anybody ever gotten one elsewhere? Also, is putting a vacuum on a plastic hydraulic tank an issue? Does it need to be regulated, and if so what is the best way to do that?

Replies26
  1. #1Tinkerer2021-06-12 09:58

    Would a shop vacuum and a suck bucket serve the same purpose ?

  2. #2Delmer2021-06-12 10:02

    Yes, a vacuum pump on a hydraulic tank can cause problems, google rail tank car "implosion" if you want to see how. A shop vac with or without a suck bucket will only produce 2-4' of water head, so will not damage anything on heavy equipment if that's enough for what you're doing. Need a little more info on the intended purpose.

  3. #3Ldvlie2021-06-12 10:29

    Yes it is for heavy equipment. Trying to put a kit together for a reasonable price. I work in a hydraulic shop rebuilding pumps, etc. and get sent on service calls occasionally and would like be prepared as best I can for what I might see but cannot spend an arm and a leg on it.

  4. #4funwithfuel2021-06-12 10:36

    I have that tank car saved as a gif. Can't upload it. Its amazing how 1 atmosphere can change things for the worse.

  5. #5hvy 1ton2021-06-12 11:04

    If you have a decent sized air compressor you can use a venturi to pull a vacuum on tanks.

  6. #6Tinkerer2021-06-12 11:24

    A small 120 volt generator will power a shop vac. Then you have the versatility of all the other uses of it.

  7. #7John C.2021-06-12 11:25

    I bought a little fitting that I hook into my compressor and that attach to the top of the hydraulic tanks. As long as the air compressor runs, the oil stays in the tank.

  8. #8funwithfuel2021-06-12 11:49

    I thought there was a specific reason the OP wanted electric. As mentioned by everyone else, i have a pneumatic ventruri . They're like $15-20 at the harbor fright tool store. 90psi inlet produces 24-28" at 5-6 cfm. With that you can swap out a -12 hose with no caps. Just monitor the tank walls. Plastic will let you know much sooner than steel. I would think, any more than 12" on plastic would be asking for it. On real full size equipment with steel tanks, i go for 24" the parts are bigger and gravity never takes a break. Good luck Break all that plastic off to get at the core fitting, that's where the magic happens. And its cheaper than i thought.

  9. #9Jonas3022021-06-12 12:26

    That vaccum pump will run easy on my 1500 watt inverter changing out the valve with a full tank of fuel Freon tank to receive any liquid

  10. #10funwithfuel2021-06-12 12:30

    That's some grade A hillbilly engineering there. I like the slobber can to protect the pump.

  11. #11Ldvlie2021-06-12 12:55

    What do you use to control the amount of vacuum?

  12. #12repowerguy2021-06-12 13:03

    Well you can either use a small air pressure regulator on the inlet of the Venturi style, or a tee fitting on the vacuum side with a small ball valve to bleed off some of the suction by letting it get air.

  13. #13Per Eriksson2021-06-12 16:29

    12V electric is the way to go, no need to have the service truck close to the machine or messing with inverters. Just a small pump with cig lighter adapter or alligator clips to hook on to the machines batteries.

  14. #14Delmer2021-06-12 16:54

    If you want 12v, and this is for a small vacuum to keep fluid from draining out of the tank while you remove a fitting below the oil level, then I'd get a VW or Volvo smog pump, put it on a board with a cage for protection, and add power cables with clamps and a switch. It will not produce enough vacuum to hurt anything, and will produce enough volume for the task. https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/air-pump-fix-tutorial-volvo/ If you're evacuating moisture, then you need a refrigeration pump, or one of those venturi pumps and a big compressor.

  15. #15Ldvlie2021-06-12 21:53

    Ok, I will investigate. Thanks

  16. #16mg23612021-06-13 06:21

    This little puppy will pull 20"+ on full air and it is whisper quiet. For sensitive things like plastic tanks I just regulate the air going into it to regulate how much vacuum I want out of it. It is a shame that Milton doesn't make this anymore. The best vacuum tool I own.

  17. #17funwithfuel2021-06-13 06:43

    I never said my rig was quiet. That would be so nice. I have 4 shop rags zip-tied to mine as a muffler. That's cool.

  18. #18Ldvlie2021-06-13 08:20

    Did you make that adapter yourself?

  19. #19mg23612021-06-13 13:52

    The vacuum tool I had to add the hoses, and the adapter on the excavator reservoir I made from a reservoir cap.

  20. #20Old Doug2021-06-13 14:37

    A compressor from any kind of ac or refrigerater makes a good vac pump.

  21. #21Ldvlie2021-06-13 15:44

    Do you have a specific one in mind?

  22. #22jismahin2021-09-28 15:07

    It looks good.

  23. #23Coaldust2021-09-28 20:32

    Cat sells the 5P306 and I’ve been using this set-up since Grunge. Plus a dozen or so modified caps. I like air. Intrinsically safe.

  24. #24Coaldust2021-09-28 20:38

    This is the other one I use. Actually have multiples. CKT cv—15. Like $30 on the Amazon. This is what I use for doing the EPA- Method 27 vacuum test on cargo tanks. Haven’t imploded one, yet. lol. Yeah, I’ve watched those videos too, during PHMSA training.

  25. #25Coy Lancaster2021-10-28 15:23

    Kennedy makes one the shop I worked at used them. You may find one on the interweb. Also years ago before we had a pump we put a tee on the brake booster line on service truck and ran a hose from there to hyd. tank to pull vacuum.

  26. #26kshansen2021-10-28 19:51

    I had to replace a hydraulic line out in the middle of nowhere with no air to work the homemade vacuum tool I have so out of desperation I came up with a solution. Service truck had a gas engine and I had some rubber hose. So I popped off a vacuum hose on the engine and connected a hose from the truck engine to a fitting on the top of hyd tank. Got line swapped with only a few drips of oil. However as I started to drive back to the shop saw that the tuck engine had apparently caused enough suction to have got a good amount into the intake. Lucky I was out in the sticks and could run it good and hard to burn off the oil before I got near any houses! I don't think there was a mosquito in that area for a few days!