Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Full-time VHP on a 140G; Possible?

perley03 ยท 2009-12-27 21:20

Hello all. I run a 140G grader for Pelletier Inc (American Loggers on Discovery) and when plowing snow, I find that 3rd gear doesn't throw the snow off the wing, it just pushes it into a big bank. However, when I put it in 4th, that little bit of extra speed does help throw the snow. But the problem I'm having is the grader does not seem to have enough power to run it in 4th if there is over 6" of snow. Now the other night while laying in bed, it hit me. When you shift into 4th, it actually decreases the HP due to the VHP kicking in since you are in a "travel" gear. Is there a way to maybe bypass this so the VHP is not decreasing hp and getting max hp in 4th-6th gear? Motor is a 3306, about 1700 hrs on rebuild. Transmission is a 6 speed, wish it was an 8 though. If you don't think this will work, or is not a good idea, don't be afraid to tell me.

Replies6
  1. #1tripper_1742009-12-27 22:18

    I'm not familiar with a 6 speed Cat, been blessed with 8's. However, with them horsepower increases in the upper four gears, not decreases. My memory fails me with the G Series but with H's it jumps 20 h.p from 165 to 185 with a 3176C. The G as I remember it had 150 h.p.. I don't recall a VHP version of the G but that sure doesn't mean there wasn't one. I do know it's frustrating not having enough jam!

  2. #2Cmark2009-12-27 23:04

    The VHP works by giving more HP in gears 3 thru 6. Maybe yours isn't working? Check that the solenoid on the governor is working by switching on the ignition but not starting the engine, get someone to shift into 3rd while you put your hand on the solenoid and feel/listen for the clunk.

  3. #3Randy Krieg2009-12-27 23:12

    Thank You Cmark, you beat me to the punch. Cmark is correct VHP increases the HP from 150 to 180 when you shift to 4th gear. I've seen many of these older "VHP" 140Gs where the switch at the cable box is bad and they don't get 180 hp in 4th and above. Very common! Regards, Randy

  4. #4tripper_1742009-12-27 23:18

    Randy, when did they put the VHP's in the G series. I can't remember where I put my glasses half the time so memory on the G's is bleak at best! Thanks in advance!

  5. #5Cmark2009-12-28 04:39

    There's a service mag out in 1985 to convert existing machines to VHP. We should probably assume that it became available a little before that date.

  6. #6tripper_1742009-12-28 09:30

    Thanks Cmark. I appreciate that!