If you leave the yard with one drum frozen to the shoes on your trailer. You can drag those two tires (if they are in really nice shape) approximately 1.5 miles before the you blow out both tires. It's true, skid marks don't lie.. ha ha Just make sure you are really rolling before you roll out. Bye Guys!:usa
That's funny! Poor driver, he (and all other drivers) will be seeing the visual reminder (skid marks leaving shop) of this incident on the pavement for quite some time.
"Geez boss i thought it seemed a little sluggish this morning"
Man im SO glad that the standing water don't go hard around here.
You can go 60 miles with 40 sets of tires.
I watched a driver do that once, 4 tires on our lowboy and road service ouch!!!
Whats fun is when you get in the truck in a snowy/slippery lot release the trailer brakes come out of the lot down the snowy entrance road up the ramp then see that nice clean blacktop just as you go to up shift when you get on that nice clean blacktop the coffee goes up your nose you chest bump the steering wheel as the truck and trailer come to a sudden stop in the middle of the highway. Can anybody gues why :Banghead:Banghead
landing gear?:beatsme
Nope trailer brakes frozen they slid real good in the ice. Got to love I80 in the WY winter.
lots of rookies make these mistakes
In my case it was laziness not checking
:yup can just see it now. Another good reason to NOT drink and drive Yes I do it too :tong
Isn't that why JB Swift Schneider paints their trailer tires? So their codrivers can run along side and see if the wheels are turning?
That's a darn site better than hooking up to a trailer and not checking that it got a good lock on the 5th wheel pin. Go ahead and roll up the landing gear, it's OK, yeah. Then pull out the main entrance and have the trailer disconnect and drop down. Block the entrance for 20 minutes as you roll the gear back down so you can get back under the trailer while all the office staff watches. In Florida, in the summer. The worst was the shop manager coming out and applauding. Good times.
I went in to the yard at work in the 80's. Got my tracter but could not find the 48ft flatdeck that was listed on my dispatch. I was told to hook up to a different one. Found that there was one set of duals with frozen brakes so I got a torch and warmed them. I was late so I got going down the road. Halfway through my day I noticed that 2 tires on the trailer were squared off right down to the cords. I wracked my brain as to where it might have happened. After my trip I reported the tires and got called into the boss's office. Turned out another driver had hooked up and pulled it through the yard and down the pavement for a few hundred yards. He noticed the tires and dragged it back in and took another flat (mine). I think he bought 2 new tires! Oops!
I hate to admit it, but I have had it happen too. The regular driver left the truck and 16 tire Murray in the dirt street at my house, lightly loaded, for me to make an after hours delivery with. It was dark when I left, and I rolled about 3/4 mile down a dirt road to the highway. I only had about 15,000 lbs on the trailer, so it pulled easy with the 550 Cat. I turned onto the highway, and got up to speed, when aafter a mile or so a car came up behind me. As I watched the car coming I thought "Gee, that is a lot of smoke in his lights" . When the car got closer, I could tell something was wrong, so I pulled over to have a look. The S-cam on one of the inside tandems had cammed over, so it was still locked up. I may have noticed it, but the combination of not driving the truck for a month or so, darkness, light load, and a dirt road all combined to cost me a pair of tires and one aluminum wheel. I was close enough to the yard at this point (only a block) that I drug it there and switched trailers, re-loaded, and went on. A few years before that, my driver had a brake hang up going down a winding mountain 2 lane road with another very light load on, and also at night. There was no traffic on the road, so he never seen the smoke, and aluminum wheels do not spark, they just smear. He finally seen it when the brake drum hit the pavement and started thrownig sparks. Same thing, after a hard corner, the brake cammed over and did not release. With a light load on a 16 tire trailer, there is barely any drag from one tandem sliding when it only has less than a ton of weight on it. That one cost 2 tires, 2 wheels, and a road service to swap a tire from one of the other tandems to get back home.
A number of times I have noticed a set of rubber trails on the highway from a set of locked duals. Its always interesting to see how long they will go before the truck pulled off the road or the tires have blown.