Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IH Speedometer Issue

farious ยท 2009-11-18 09:50

I have a 1989 International S1900 with a dt466 motor in it and a 5+2 trans. The speedometer does not like read properly when I'm in high range. It keeps giving me speeds as if I were still in low range. Sometimes, however, it starts working properly. This usually happens when I run the truck in high gear for 20+ miles, then downshift into low range and then back to high range. Usually once it starts working properly, it will continue to work properly until the next day. Does anyone know why this could be or has anyone else seen this? It doesn't seem to be a wiring problem because I can consistently get it to start working using the procedure above. Could it be an actuator somewhere? Or is the speedometer itself bad?

Replies10
  1. #1OneWelder2009-11-18 16:13

    I do not know about your specific trk. - but usually behind speedometer. on firewall is solenoid switch that changes the range - follow cable from speedometer it will fasten to it then fasten coming out continuing to trans. will also have electrical connection , that will give you quite a thrill if you move 2 speed button- not a very good description , but if you follow cable it will become clear

  2. #2farious2009-11-18 22:05

    Solenoid So the solenoid might be bad? I always thought that the hi/low switch was connected directly to the speedometer. I never knew there was a solenoid in the system. I will take a look for it tomorrow and report back.

  3. #3rino2009-11-19 06:12

    Good luck with your IH! All the ones I have seen have major electrical problems!

  4. #4OneWelder2009-11-19 07:36

    solenoid is probably the wrong name but did not know what else to call it it has some small gears inside that change speed of cable

  5. #5farious2009-11-19 11:43

    Don't Like IH? If you don't like IH, what make DO you like? Every brand of truck I've owned someone on this site has told me what a piece of crap it is. Is there a consensus about which one you DO like?

  6. #6farious2009-11-19 11:55

    "Solenoid" Oh, OK. I thought that it had an electronic speedometer - I didn't know it was cable driven.

  7. #7OneWelder2009-11-19 13:57

    It is possibly that it is - I did not think they had gone to that that early

  8. #8OneWelder2009-11-19 14:20

    does not matter what it is -if it is broke it is JUNK In my opinion it is how the trk is set up from factory and how good local support is- a lot of major components are installed in most brands - - CAT , Detroit, Rockwell, Eaton ETC, Some International cabs were good and others - Well-----

  9. #9Komatsu 1502009-11-20 08:40

    If it's driven by a cable the speedometer "transmission" could be attached to the back of the speedometer or in between two speedo cables - just follow the cable. The one attached to the speedometer head is held on in the same way a cable would be. My big gripe with IH truck wiring from those years is that almost all the wires are black with microscopic numbers stamped on them to identify which is which. Try to find a particular circuit in a bundle of forty or so.

  10. #10rino2009-11-24 02:22

    farious: There is NO way to tell of the truck you're going to purchase new or used is a mechanical marvel or the worst headache! What you do is listen to those who have experienced the headaches, and try not to repeat them! So to answer your question, the truck I like is the one that goes down the road the straightest, without loosing parts, and I can trust to flip on my lights, and they all work! If you see one let me know! BTW I am partial to big power Cats with an 8LL in a dump, and a 10 or 13 speed OTR! Other than that, I hope to hear from others what problems certain makes and models are having. Our fleet has 2 IH single axle, and 1 IH 6 axle! All 3 of them have wiring problems! The 2 singles are older while the 6 axle is a 2008 model! The fact our company will let any schmo who has a license drive those Singles is a testimonial to their mechanical durability!